Sebastian Pleuse neuester Bericht aus SL

étoile

geschrieben von Sebastian am 29.01.2006 (bringt er sicher auch noch mal in Deutsch)!!! :

At the moment I have the most wonderful team of volunteers working in my projects. I’ve hardly ever seen a group of people that connected so quickly and put so much effort into the daily work! The people come from all over the world – Australia, England, Sri Lanka of course, Sweden, Denmark, Germany. At the moment there are three German volunteers that have heard my interviews on “Radio Eins”, another one will come over next Friday. I’m so glad that this system still works, that the listeners are still interested in what’s going on and still willing to help.

Since we have opened the new building at the “Child and Youth Development Center” in Boossa, the number of preschool kids has gone up from 40 to 100. That’s why we have expanded the playground big time. In addition to that we have cleaned up the area behind the school and turned it into a nice shady chill-out area for the parents. Put some wooden tables and chairs there, a coconut-shell framework around every single palm, some flowerpots… Dinesh (my favourite electrician) is going to install some fancy lights up in the trees – it will soon be one of the most relaxed places in the village, where the locals can just sit and chat while waiting for their kids to finish classes. I’m so happy with it.

I was also able to find a young local doctor who is willing to take over the work in the small doctor’s office that I used to run twice a week. Though it was good fun for me, I have the feeling that it’s about time to pull out of it and hand it over to a local. Dr. Prasanna seems to be a really nice guy!

I’m really happy that I had the chance to contribute my part to the center in Boossa. Many projects are being shut down these days because they were not self-sustaining or because nobody is maintaining the places any more – and Boossa is the exact opposite. It’s growing, we have 13 local people employed there, the villagers love it (which is not always the case, sometimes they get jealous on projects because the money doesn’t go into their pockets…) and everybody who’s participating is really doing it from the heart. I’m filming quite a lot over there, so after returning to Germany I’ll hopefully be able to edit a nice short movie about it to show to my dear readers…;-)

The roofing-projects continue as well, we put new roofs on a couple of leaking-through houses in Rathgama and have more work to come in Kosgoda, which is about 30 km north of where I stay. When that is done, we are planning to build our first house – how exciting! It’ll be only small, but a house! We want to donate it to an old couple that has no children and is really struggling hard to get along. They live in Gintota (some of you might remember the name of the village, we did a couple of community things there last year) – and at the moment stay in a place that one would not even consider appropriate for a dog. If old people in this country don’t have children to take care of them, they are in a really bad situation. Only the people who used to work for the government receive a monthly pension, the others just have to find a way to get along – and normally the children support their parents. Maybe people in our western societies should just be more aware of how good our situation is instead of complaining all the time…

You see, there’s still a lot of things to be done here. Of course it’s not as hard anymore as it was just after the tsunami but still many families live in dodgy temporary houses, many places have to be rebuild, schools have to be equipped and businesses need help to get started again. In other words: It’s still worth to come over and volunteer or support us financially. So open your wallets and get out your passports or credit cards, the Sri Lankans deserve it.

Stay tuned,
Seb.

PS:

I’ve just been to the most ridiculous event ever – an “Elephant Polo” tournament. The only thing I’ve seen that’s probably more boring than cricket… I imagined the elephants galloping around like hell, the riders fighting for the ball – instead it’s more like chess. Well, maybe a little less stressfull…;-)

http://pleuse.blog.de/index.php/pleuse?author=136892

Der Typ ist einfach klasse !!!!!!
Grüssle
Regina

Oben