Bild 658 - Lady of Refuge Church in Jaffna

M

MA*R*CO

Gesucht ist der Name und der Ort der Kirche.

rps20190510_095106.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
AW: Bild 658

Name: Lady of Refuge Church

Ist das die Kirche in der damals die vielen Flüchtlinge Schutz suchten?

Was für ein Ereignis ist mit damals gemeint und wann fand es statt?

Während des Bürgerkrieges suchten mehr als 1000 Flüchtlinge in einer Kirche Schutz. Als ich den Namen las, fiel mir das wieder ein.
Es könnte 2005 gewesen sein. Genauer kann ich es leider nicht sagen. :gruebel:

Viel habe ich nicht gefunden.

Our Lady of Refuge Church in Jaffna, Sri Lanka, lived up to its name during the civil war when hundreds took shelter on its grounds. In October 2006 as many as 1,300 refugees from the northern islands were camped here.

Quelle: www.pinterest.de

Im Oktober 2006 war ich erstmals in Sri Lanka. Da haben mich die Zeitungsartikel über das Land noch nicht interessiert. Wichtiger war der gedruckte Reiseführer.

Lange habe ich gesucht und dann doch noch etwas gefunden.

'Noises in the night'

In Jaffna town, over 1,300 people are living in school buildings on the grounds of Our Lady of Refuge Church. The families here have clustered their few belongings - some clothes, mattresses, blankets, pots and pans - on the stone floors.

They fled from two villages, Allaipiddy and Mandaithevu, on the islands to the west of Jaffna. The residents of Allaipiddy have been forced to leave their village twice this year - once in May, after the killing of 13 civilians, and again in August, when fighting broke out in the area.

"A shell landed on our village and I was wounded in the leg," recalls Jeyapiria Jeyaratnam, 10. "I've seen a lot of fighting. I hear noises in the night and I'm very scared. I feel that a shell is going to fall here, and I get frightened when I hear about fighting on the radio."

Her mother, Mary Angaleena, says the family decided to sleep in a church when the shelling started. She was wounded as well, and the family was evacuated by ambulance. "We lost everything, even our clothes," she says.

Jeyapira now spends her time with other children at Our Lady of Refuge. She also helps fetch water when her mother cooks. She is in Grade 5 and says she's disappointed she had to miss her exams because of the conflict.

Living with host families

Children like Jeyapira are registering for school and hope to start lessons soon. UNICEF has been working with the government and other partners to support the families at the church and other centres in the area, creating spaces for children to play and take informal lessons.

The parish priest at Our Lady of Refuge worries that poor sanitary conditions might lead to the spread of disease at the site, and says he is trying to find another location for the people staying there. Meanwhile, UNICEF and its partners have supplied water tanks, toilets, washing areas and wells to accommodation centres across Jaffna.

Quelle + kompletter Artikel: reliefweb.int

Allaipiddy and Mandaithevu:
Mandaithevu - hier war ich 2015 und 2018
Allaipiddy - Plan für 2019

Mandaitivu disappearance victims are buried in mass grave, says TNA MP

10 April 2019

The three villages, Mandaithivu, Allaipiddy and Mankumban (M-A-M), are situated just across the Dutch Fort in Jaffna. From here the Sri Lankan military launched its operations. The majority of the people in the M-A-M villages were farmers, fishermen and toddy tappers. Prior to 1990 it was economically prosperous. On 23.08.1990, the Sri Lankan military dropped notices from air ordering people not to stay in their homes and to go to churches and temples. People were thus taking refuge in temples, churches and schools. The military entered the villages on 23.08.1990 and killed everyone who did not go to the temples, churches and schools. 20 people were brutally killed in this manner.

Quelle + kompletter Artikel: www.tamilguardian.com

Oben