Colombo Restaurants@YAMU.lk

Pak Bahasa

Administrator
Teammitglied
Vielen von euch dürfte die beliebte Website www.yamu.lk schon bekannt sein.
Hello, We're YAMU We review restaurants, bars, shops, hotels and more in Colombo and Sri Lanka. We write our own reviews, take our own photographs, and update daily.
Hier gibt es in nächster Zeit regelmäßig aktuelle Tipps, Links zu Berichten und Infos rund ums Essen und Trinken in Colombo.
Einer meiner Favoriten in Colombo 11 ist das Sri Suryas in der 255 Sea Street, Pettah:

Posted by vidya on 28 September 2015
Every now and then, dear reader, I am assailed with the longing for the sort of crisp, paper-thin, ghee-soaked dosa that reminds me of home. At those times, no pale imitation will do. A few months ago, crammed into a congested street in Pettah that heaves with people, vehicles and activity by day, I found a non-descript restaurant that satisfies that specific craving.
A classy saivar if there were one, Sri Suryas is a respectable vegetarian joint on Sea Street that disarms you with its sparkling clean floors and general cleanliness. Having always visited at night, I have only tried the a la carte menu of dosas, vadais and other snacks, apart from a few north Indian dishes. If you visit for lunch, you can try the south Indian thali (and tell us how it is, in the comments section).
The Food & Service

Getting straight down to business, we ordered the ghee roast dosa (Rs. 230), the golden standard by which I evaluate any south Indian joint. Suryas passes the test with flying colours.
weiter hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/sri-suryas/

auch in Pettah, Colombo 11, liegt das New Saraswathi Cafe, 230 Sea Street, s.a. hier: https://www.sri-lanka-board.de/showthread.php?16714-Colombo-New-Saraswathi-Cafe-Pettah.

Posted by Shifani on 28 August 2014
The New Saraswati Cafe in Pettah is a popular little restaurant that serves good (and plenty) vegetarian South Indian food, for cheap saivar kade prices.
We got all the good stuff - thosai, vadey, egg rotti and string hoppers, with sambar and chutney.

It was all very tasty - it's very hard to go wrong with saivar kade South Indian food - but worth mentioning is how thick and fluffy the thosai was.
mehr hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/new-saraswati-cafe/

Pagoda Tea Rooms, 105 Chatham St., Colombo 1, Fort
Reviewed by
Shifani 1 year ago
Pagoda Tea Rooms is one of the city's oldest establishments. Having started in the charming old De Mel Building on Chatham Street in 1884, the company soon branched out to start up Green Cabin, one of Colombo's most successful bakeries.
The Food

yimg_OR0pZB-640x426.JPG

We had a lamprais taste-off this year, and Green Cabin finished last in the race. We got that one from the Kollupitiya branch and it was very oily and missing important elements. The one we had here at Pagoda Tea Rooms, however, was excellent. It came in a perfect amount, and had all the key elements - frikkadel, blachan, a good piece of chicken, plus a tasty dollop of seeni sambol which though isn't in your typical lamprais was still welcome. It was aromatic and flavoursome and cost Rs. 350.
weiter: https://www.yamu.lk/place/pagoda-tea-rooms

yimg_OR0pZB-640x426.JPG

:hungfut:

Danke für den Link bzw. Thread hier Joerg!

The Bread Company (German Artisan Bakers), 461 Thimbirigasyaya Road, Colombo 5
Reviewed by Bhagya 1 month ago

The Bread Company was one of our favourite new restaurants back in 2014. They've kept things fairly hush-hush in the recent past, but their bread is still excellent, they've expanded their menu with a bunch of new meat options and still manage to keep things pretty lean and healthy.
The Food

The Bread Company’s main focus seems to be breakfast, so they offer some really hearty omelettes. At Rs. 900 it’s pricey but these are packed full of veges and meat. What you see in the photo is actually a half portion which was plenty filling in itself. This one came with roast chicken, green and yellow peppers, onions and carrots.
mehr davon: https://www.yamu.lk/place/the-bread-company-german-artisan-bakers

Mal was Neues und ganz anders... Lust auf English Breakfast? Ein erster Bericht...
Dottie's English Tea Room
95 Rosmead Place, Colombo 07

Reviewed by Aisha 2 days ago

Dottie's is barely just over a week old, but it's already one of our favourites. Nearly half of the YAMU office dropped in from last Friday right over the weekend, and we've collectively (and individually) sampled nearly everything on the menu, including their limited English Breakfast.

The English Breakfast & More

Indi and Shru popped in for breakfast, and they both loved it too.

Dottie's Full English Breakfast isn't cheap at Rs. 1200 but, BACON. And sausages. And hash browns. Again placed on charming crockery, the plate is loaded with all the fried goodness of a lazy British morning. The only thing missing was the black pudding aka blood sausage and, well, I'm okay with that.

see more/weiter hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/dotties-english-tea-room

jetzt an neuer Adresse, siehe hier: https://www.sri-lanka-board.de/show...-YAMU-lk/page4&p=115100&viewfull=1#post115100

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
In Colombo 6, Wellawatte
Yaal Restaurant
No 56 Vaverset Place, Colombo 6

Reviewed by Shifani 1 year ago
Yaal Restaurant down Marine Drive still serves some very tasty and not-too-pricey food, and their crab curry is still good - though it's their biriyani that blew us away. Yaal is the word for Jaffna so you get typically south Indian food here but with a spicy Sri Lankan twist. (Apologies for the crappy pictures, folks, we had to take them with a phone.) [Editor's Note: charge your camera] The Food

We loved the food mostly because of the spicy punch it packed, so it's not for those who can't handle a bit of chilli in their meals. We got a chicken biriyani (Rs. 390), rice with cuttlefish (Rs. 480), mutton curry (Rs. 400) and crab curry (Rs. 700). The prices are good considering the biriyani and rice came with plenty of sides, and the crab was the only thing that was on the pricey side, but then again it's crab.
First off, the biriyani here is one of the better ones in the city. It came with a big piece of roasted chicken and egg in a little silver pot, and I'd say was enough for two light meals, but considering how tasty it was and how hungry I was, it was just enough for my belly alone.

mehr hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/yaal-restaurant

In Colombo 3, Kollupitiya, Galle Road

Barefoot Cafe

Ich mag dieses Cafe/Restaurant sehr. Es liegt in einem Innenhof mit Gartencharakter direkt "im" Barefoot-Kaufhaus
und zur Lunchtime trifft man sich dort gerne mit Freunden auf einen Plausch oder einfach zur Erholung vom Einkaufsstress.
Ein Eistee mit Zitrone oder ein Bier, dazu Spinach Quiche oder für die "Süssen" eine Mandeltorte mit Tee.
Die Auswahl ist reichlich und mir persönlich hat es immer geschmeckt!

Barefoot is almost always crowded so service time won't generally be very fast, but they won't keep you waiting too long either. We were impressed by the waiters since they were a bit understaffed on the day we dropped in. They managed to handle all the tables, not mess up any orders (as far as we could see) and still do it all with a smile.
Conclusion

yimg_WVRxjP-640x425.jpg

Barefoot will always be a solid choice for either a place to grab a bite to eat or to just hang back and grab a beer. It gets crowded but the garden is spacious so you don't really feel cramped, plus the food and music is good enough you don't feel the time go by.

mehr hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/the-barefoot-cafe

The Manhattan Fish Market
31 Deal Place, Colombo 3
Manhattan Fish Market is pretty much Colombo’s only seafood franchise to date. They started off a bit iffy with their pricing, but they’ve matured well over the past year to become one of the city’s more frequented eateries.
The Seafood

Most fast food franchises tend to stick to meat with just a few seafood options, but Manhattan Fish Market flipped that on its head when it landed in Colombo a couple of years ago.

They offer everything from mussels, to shellfish, to a range of different fish so there certainly isn’t a lack of choice here. We started off with the ever popular Fish ’n Chips (Rs. 900). Dory is the base fish here, but you can choose between barramundi, cherry snapper, cod and salmon which go up to around Rs. 1690.
weiter hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/the-manhattan-fish-market

Kandoori
17, Charlemont Road, Wellawatte

Reviewed by Aisha 3 days ago
Kandoori's got some pretty legit biriyani, and we love it. Their food is a bit on the pricey side, with meals crossing over Rs 600, but given the quality we think it's worth it.
Food and Service

While the service is a bit on the slow end, the staff are quite friendly. Food-wise, we went for a Mutton Biryani (Rs. 760) and a Makhani Paneer (Rs. 780). And then we decided to get some Devilled Beef (Rs. 420) as well.

We don't have any complaints where quality is concerned. Fragrant, well spiced basmati rice and generous pieces of mutton dotted this biriyani. Our only gripe was that the portion could have been larger, for the price.
The Makhani Paneer was super creamy, both the gravy and the paneer itself.

weiter geht's hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/kandoori/

Tori House
7 Siebel Avenue, Colombo 05

Reviewed by Aisha 1 day ago
Tori House is a quaint new cafe and store down Seibel Ave. They serve meals throughout the day, while also stocking up on coffee, eclairs, and cupcakes. We dropped in for lunch.

Food and Service

The food's quite reasonably priced with nearly everything under Rs. 600. You get salads, soups, mains, and desserts. The dessert items on the menu doesn't include the baked goodies that are on display on the counter though, so check those out as well.
Our starter was a Grilled Chicken Salad (Rs. 580) which came with a pretty solid vinaigrette.

Presentation was simple and clean, with fresh and crunchy vegetables piled neatly on the rest of the plate. The chicken was grilled nicely too, but I personally think it could've been a bit more moist.
weiter hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/tori-house

Curry Pot
314/1/A, Kollupitiya Road, Marine Drive, Colombo

Reviewed by Aisha 3 days ago
Curry Pot is a well-kept, nourishing, and spacious rice-and-curry joint down Marine Drive in Colpetty. It doesn't disappoint and is, as most buth kadeys, quite popular amongst the office crowd and few college students in the area.
Food and Service

With about 20 pots of curries ranging from veggies, sambols, meats, and fried chilli, the layout at Curry Pot is a feast for your eyes.

You get around four veggies of choice and one meat option according to their set prices, but can choose more or less what you want if you pay a bit more.

weiter: https://www.yamu.lk/place/curry-pot

Mathura Restaurant
16 Melbourne Avenue, Colombo 04

Reviewed by Nabeela Yaseen 1 day ago
Mathura doesn’t really require a fancy description – it has been around for the longest of times, known for the veg friendly Indian that they serve. (If you have never heard of Mathura, you have probably lived under a rock – no hate though. *insert hug*)

And now, they are at a new location! No longer do they operate from behind the bus stop in Havelock town.
Food

Although the famous Mathura served some soooooper Indian (veg), the quality deflated over the years. So, I was rather curious to see what the new Mathura had in store for me. It took approximately 10 minutes for the food to be served, which wasn’t too long.

My North Indian thali (Rs. 530) was huge. Plated on the massive silver tray in true thali style were rasam, dhal, vegetable kadai, two potato curries, vegetable biriyani, a tiny pot of rice, a naan/chapathi (because it looked like naan, but tasted like chapathi), curd and kesari bhath.
mehr vom Mathura hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/mathura

The Mango Tree
82 Dharmapala Mawatha, Colombo 3

Reviewed by Aisha 10 months ago The Mango Tree down Dharmapala Road boasts of authentic North Indian cuisine. For the most part, it doesn't disappoint. YAMU reviewed this place in early 2013, and it didn't win too many accolades back then, mostly due to crappy service. We figured that a place could change a lot in two years, and decided it was time to check it out again — and we were happily not let down.

Food
We walked in for lunch, and it was more than half-packed even though it was a weekday. As luck would have it, there were about two tables free, and we were ushered towards them as soon as we walked in. We were then presented with the menu and a basket of complimentary pappadum.
The stewards were efficient and service was quite fast. We received our orders within 15 minutes. A single portion at Mango Tree is more than sufficient for two people (including the soups). We started off with the soup, a chicken shorba (Rs. 450).
We really liked the chicken shorba because of how flavoursome it was. The consistency was thick and somewhat creamy, while also being subtly spicy at the same time. The heat hits you really slowly, so your mouth kind of waters for a few minutes after you've finished slurping it up.
weiter hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/the-mango-tree

Although the famous Mathura served some soooooper Indian (veg), the quality deflated over the years. So, I was rather curious to see what the new Mathura had in store for me. It took approximately 10 minutes for the food to be served, which wasn’t too long.

My North Indian thali (Rs. 530) was huge. Plated on the massive silver tray in true thali style were rasam, dhal, vegetable kadai, two potato curries, vegetable biriyani, a tiny pot of rice, a naan/chapathi (because it looked like naan, but tasted like chapathi), curd and kesari bhath.

:hungfut::ko55: Wat lecker! Danke für`s Einsetzen Joerg!

Liebe Grüsse, Biggi

Greenlands Hotel
3A Shrubbery Gardens, Colombo 4

Reviewed by Imaad 4 months ago
Greenlands is a South Indian vegetarian restaurant that has been around as long as I can remember. I even recall fond tales from my parents who would rendezvous there in their youth. Its strongest point is the nostalgia, to be honest, and anyone who's been there over the years will attest to that. There's way more competition these days, and they don't seem the overly competitive type.

The rice and curry (Rs 200) is quite wholesome, with plenty of dhal, a little bit of mango pickle. The main curry is bittergourd, which added a sharp acidic kick. You don't get your usual spicy flavours of a Sri Lankan rice and curry, so this might not be for everyone. I particularly love the contrast of texture when you mix the papadam with the wet rice and curry.
Conclusion

While there are many other South Indian restaurants serving much better fare, Greenlands still holds a place in people's heart for sheer nostalgia. They do what they do quite well. However, in comparison, it's not really better than places like Shanmugas or Thalis. Prices are reasonable, so two can eat for under Rs 1000 easily. Oh, and they have the rare combo of a liquor bar and a/c hotel rooms also on offer, so that's something!
mehr vom Greenlands gibt´s hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/greenlands-hotel/

Dinemore (Moors Sports Club)
50A, Braybrook Place, Colombo 2

Reviewed by othman 1 week ago
Going way back to 1996, as a kid, ever since I could recall, we would head over to Dinemore with my entire family to sink into some beef submarines. As it turns out, the Moor’s Sports Club branch and the Wellawatte Branch has a different menu from the other branches.

Food and Service

We kickstarted our meal with Chicken Wings and BBQ sauce (Rs.260) as our appetizer. They were delicious. The chicken was crispy and tender inside, the sauce had a nice note of sweetness that tasted like honey and had a distinct smoky whiff to it.

The Fish and Chips came in next. This was one of the best dishes I've had in a while. The fish was on point, came with a wonderful coleslaw, a fresh batch of crisp french fries and slices of tomato and salad. For a price of Rs.480 it was great value for money. (Ed Note : This does appear to be more of a crumb-fried fish than the actual batter-fried fish and chips you'd expect in an English pub though, so be aware of this while ordering).
mehr hier: https://www.yamu.lk/place/dinemore-moors

The Cricket Club Cafe
12 Flower Road, Colombo 03

Reviewed by Kinita 1 day ago 1996 was a great year for Lankan cricket. Not only was it the ultimate year of glory for the motherland, the pinnacle of many an uncle's existence, but it was also the year we got our first cricket- themed restaurant. The Cricket Club Cafe was one of Colombo's old-school establishments, a cosy colonial house on Queen's Road that held court for decades (although it's felt like a century).
Masters of alliteration, the Aussie owners just moved shop to a funky, bright building on Flower Road. We swung by for a lunch and a beer, and generally enjoyed our experience.
Ambience

Featuring multi-tiered brushed cement and brightly painted warped wood, the new building is pretty large. There's an open-air courtyard bar area which we liked, and plenty of a/c rooms throughout the area when the afternoon heat is too hot to brave.

The inner areas have maintained a lot of the original concept and charm, with antique cricketing memorabilia, like original uniforms used (some are signed!), bats, balls, and more. They've also maintained their old barrel keg tables, and plenty of TVs showing the match of the day.

mehr vom neuen Cricket Club: https://www.yamu.lk/place/the-cricket-club

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Im Cricket Club Cafe waren wir auch schon einige Male. Ich erinnere mich, einen sehr guten Salat mit gebratenem Huhn gegessen zu haben.
Der Nebenraum war etwas finster aber in dem "Vorraum" der auf dem Bild oben zu sehen ist, sitzt man sehr nett.
Es gibt auch genügen Parkmöglichkeiten rund um das Gebäude.

Oben