News vom 03.10.2005

Hänschen

Betreiber des SLB
Teammitglied
Bandaranaike policies who are the real enemies?

Apropos recent remarks, rather unwanted and unwelcome at a critical time like the present, made by the President Kumaratunga and Anura Bandaranaike regarding the enemies who are trying to destroy Bandaranaike policies, I would like to make few comments for the benefit of the general public so that they will know as to who the real enemies of the Bandaranaike policies are. I write this as a person who has been close to the Bandaranaikes as Mrs. Bandaranaikes one time secretary. First of all, I think it is necessary to have a clear idea as to what the so-called Bandaranaike policies are. Identifying the enemies can then follow. It appears to me from these statements that Chandrika and Anura think Bandaranaike policies are the heirloom of Horagolla and Bandaranaikes are the angels sent by God to rule this island of Sri Lanka. But I must categorically say that that is far from the truth.

Rajapaksa needs big lead in Sinhala areas

Mahinda Rajapaksa of the ruling Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) has to get a big lead in the Sinhala majority areas of the country if he is to win the November 17 Sri Lankan presidential election. With Tamil and Muslim votes slated to go almost en masse to his principal rival Ranil Wickremesinghe of the opposition United National Party (UNP), Rajapaksa has to score very high in the Sinhala-majority areas to make it to the Presidency.

Sri Lanka struggles with loss after loss

Nearly a year after the tsunami devastated Sri Lanka, a fresh wave of political violence is sweeping across the eastern part of the island. Armed factions vie for supremacy, assassinations and abductions occur in broad daylight, and parents squirrel away their children for fear they will be conscripted into battle. Loss piles upon unbearable loss. There is no sanctuary even at a relief camp here for families displaced by the tsunami. Since February, three women at the camp have been BATTICALOA, Sri Lanka Nearly a year after the tsunami devastated Sri Lanka, a fresh wave of political violence is sweeping across the eastern part of the island. Armed factions vie for supremacy, assassinations and abductions occur in broad daylight, and parents squirrel away their children for fear they will be conscripted into battle. Loss piles upon unbearable loss. There is no sanctuary even at a relief camp here for families displaced by the tsunami. Since February, three women at the camp have been widowed.

http://www.lankaweb.com/news/latest.html

Oben