News vom 13.02.2006

srilanka1998

No homeland for Tigers - Sri Lanka President
[ Reuters ] [ 10:50 GMT, Feb. 13, 2006 ]

Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse on Monday ruled out Tamil Tiger demands for a separate homeland in the island's north and east, but said he would rein in armed groups -- a central rebel demand ahead of crunch talks."There's only one country, we can share power. Not a separate state. That idea must be taken off ... it is completely out," Rajapakse told Reuters in an interview ahead of upcoming talks with the rebels in Switzerland to avoid a slide back to war. "This is a small country, where you can't have two states. I won't allow the country to be divided," he added. "You have to give up the concept of having two nations, or two countries ... There is no Tamil Eelam in Sri Lanka. There cannot be an Eelam." The rebels say the February 22-23 talks must focus on implementation of the cease-fire -- in particular a clause that stipulates the state must disarm paramilitaries the rebels say are attacking them, which the government argues it has done.

"The Government is Creating an Environment for War"
[ TIME ] [ 11:34 GMT, Feb. 13, 2006 ]

As a responsible political organization, we're not provoked. We have a commitment to the ceasefire agreement and the international community's concern for peace in Sri Lanka. What [worries] us is the grave risk to the ceasefire by the civilians who are being killed, tortured and arrested, and kept under military occupation, people made to feel helpless, who are resorting to actions that any normal human being would take. We read the statement put out by the UN Secretary General which says that both parties should stick to the ceasefire agreement. And what does the agreement say? Deliver normalcy to people affected by war for two decades. Who are these people? They are the Tamil people. Those people need peace. This is the message. They have not specifically mentioned that the government has failed, but it is very clear that this is what the international community feels.

"My Priority is Peace" TIME speaks with Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse
By: Alex Perry
Source: TIME - February 12, 2006

There can be few shorter post-election honeymoons than that granted Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse. Within a few days of taking office on Nov. 18, ethnic Tamil rebels fighting for a separate homeland in the north and east began a new round of attacks on his Sinhalese-dominated administration in the south in which more than 100 people have died. Rajapakse met TIME's South Asia bureau chief Alex Perry at his former residence, Temple Trees, in central Colombo.

TIME: Is civil war inevitable?
Rajapakse: The L.T.T.E. [Liberation Tamil Tigers of Eelam] is trying to force us into war. They have killed over 70 soldiers, and destroyed one of our ships. But we're very patient. We're still ready for talks. People call me a hawk or a warmonger. That's propaganda. I am a Buddhist. I believe in the importance of tolerance. Whether we're Sinhalese or L.T.T.E., we are human beings, many of us are related, and we are all from Sri Lanka.

When does your tolerance run out?
My problem is that I have to keep the south silent, I have to keep the armed forces together, and there is a limit to all this. My patience should not be taken as weakness. I hope there will not be a war. But I will not hesitate to defend my country. And the armed forces are ready to face any situation.

Someone is also killing Tamils. Who?
I have already started an inquiry. People suspect the STF [Special Task Force, the Sri Lankan paramilitary intelligence wing]. There may be one or two black sheep, but our forces are very disciplined.

Sri Lanka has such potential: a booming tourism industry and billions of dollars pledged in development and tsunami aid. Why throw it all away?
This is what I can't understand. My priority is peace and economic development.

If sense doesn't work, how about compassion? 20 years of war killed 64,000 and retarded development. Then came the tsunami. Now tsunami victims face more war.
The people suffer, yes. My feeling is that [L.T.T.E. leader] Prabhakaran and his men have a responsibility. If they want to 'liberate' the Tamil people, they must develop them. Unfortunately, that's not happening. Within a few days [of my election], they attacked. They did not even allow me to breathe.

Are you the right leader to reach across the divide?
I am ready to go the extra mile for peace. Let's sit and discuss what they want and what we can give.

Sri Lankans talk about a ceasefire agreement when there is no ceasefire, and a unitary state when a separate L.T.T.E. state essentially already exists. Does Sri Lanka have a problem facing reality?
We have a ceasefire agreement but no ceasefire, yes. But it is one country. We cannot divide it. We will give them maximum devolution [instead].

Can the international community help prevent war?
Look at September 11. This is the same thing. React like that.

Many believe a new civil war could be even more bloody. Do you agree?
Yes. But I hope the L.T.T.E. comes for talks. They must.

Oben