News vom 16.09.2005

srilanka1998

Sri Lanka to extend emergency laws for another month
[ AFX ] [ 10:57 GMT, Sep. 16, 2005 ]

The government announced that it will extend for another month the state of emergency enforced after the assassination of former foreign minister Lakshman Kadirgamar. Government spokesman Nimal Siripala de Silva told reporters that an extension resolution will go before parliament next week. "It (the resolution) will be presented on the 21st and will be approved for another month," de Silva said. He did not explain the reason for prolonging the sweeping powers granted to police and security forces to arrest and detain suspects without warrants. The emergency was first imposed for 10 days shortly after the August 12 assassination of Kadirgamar.

'The international community needs to take urgent action' -Member of Parliament of New South Wales
[ LTTE Peace Secretariat ] [ 11:04 GMT, Sep. 16, 2005 ]

The international community needs to take urgent action, conduct independent research, visit these areas, engage with the community and see first-hand what is happening', stated Ms Virginia Judge, Member for Strathfield, Special Projects Co-ordinator in parliamentary debates on 15 September 2005 after her recent visit to Sri Lanka and Tamil Homeland. Sri Lanka is in crisis. This is a nation divided 'a nation where civil, political and economic rights are not equally shared. Last week I returned from a visit to Sri Lanka, where I went to witness these things for myself and to research a suitable project for funds raised here after the tsunami to assist victims and their families in Sri Lanka. I did so at the urging of the 3,000-strong Tamil community in my electorate of Strathfield, Sydney, New South Wales.

Recognising the Lankan Peace Process?
[ LTTE Peace Secretariat ] [ 17:13 GMT, Sep. 16, 2005 ]

Recognising the concern and overwhelming support rendered by the European Union and the international community at large in resolving the long standing racial conflict with a history of oppression in the island of Sri Lanka, we wish to bring to your attention the realities pertaining to the changing political landscape in Colombo. We place these facts before you by virtue of our position, both as equal partners in the Cease Fire Agreement of 2002 and as the Tamil peoples declared representatives through the popular mandate in the General Elections of 2004. The bedrock of the CFA being confidence building, normalcy in the life of a people affected by two decades of war and progressively moving towards negotiations that would provide a political resolution and, it is shocking to find that Colombo is moving in the opposite direction.

Buddhist monks remanded for rag
[ BBC ] [ 19:43 GMT, Sep. 16, 2005 ]

Anuradhapura magistrate remanded three Buddhist monks of the Rajarata University on charges of ragging a junior monk. Senior undergraduate students, Guruwelayaye Dhammananda thero, Meewalapathana Wimalawansa thero and Yatamalgama Dhammasiri thero were arrested on Friday by the police for allegedly ragging a junior student. The victim, Diyabedume Rathansara thero, was earlier admitted to Anuradhapura hospital after he was subjected to excessive ragging by the senior monks. 'The monks striped me naked. Then they started harassing me. I told the monks of my condition but they didn't bother. I had to leave the university as I could not suffer anymore, 'Rathansara thero told BBC Sandeshaya.

Oben