News vom 22.12.2005

Hänschen

Betreiber des SLB
Teammitglied
President Rajapaksa wants India to play 'big role' in Sri Lanka peace

Dec 22, Colombo: Ahead of his Indian visit, President Mahinda Rajapaksa said his government is seeking greater involvement by the Indian government in the Sri Lankan peace process.

Speaking to Colombo-based Indian reporters, Mr. Rajapaksa said he expected India to play a bigger role in supporting Sri Lankan peace efforts. “That is what I want to discuss with them. They are our closest neighbour and it is very important for me to have them involved in the process,” he said.

Mr. Rajapaksa also said he expected India to have involvement similar to what the donor co-chairs - the United States, European Union, Japan and Norway - have in supporting peace efforts.

The President said he was keen to study India’s system of devolution, as it could be a model for Sri Lanka to grant extensive devolution without altering the character of the state. “I am for a unitary state with maximum possible devolution. I want to study the Indian model and I am sure we can learn from that,” he said.

Sri Lanka President rejects Tigers' demand for talks in Oslo

While welcoming the Sri Lanka Donor Co-Chairs' statement urging the LTTE to halt killings, President Mahinda Rajapaksa yesterday rejected the LTTE's demand to hold peace talks in Oslo.

The President told media, “I think the Tigers are playing politics. If they are serious, they must come for talks in Japan. I am ready for talks as soon as the Tigers are ready.”

He said his government was ready to travel to any Asian country for talks with the LTTE.

JVP won't take part in Sri Lanka President's Indian visit

The JVP, a political ally of President Mahinda Rajapaksa's, has rejected his invitation to join the delegation for the state visit to India, scheduled on December 27.

The JVP in rejecting the President’s offer said the party was not a part of the government and therefore saw no reason for being part of the President’s delegation.

more here......

http://www.colombopage.com/

Oben