Five injured in fresh Claymore mine attack in Sri Lanka

Admin

Administrator
Five injured in fresh Claymore mine attack in Sri Lanka

Colombo - Three civilians and two soldiers were injured in Claymore mine attack on a bus carrying a group of soldiers in north-eastern Sri Lanka on Friday as the country marked the traditional new year with religious and cultural events.

The Claymore mine was set off near a bus which was taking meals to soldiers in Trincomalee town, 250 kilometres north-east of the capital on Friday afternoon, military officials said.

The civilian bus driver and two bystanders along with two soldiers injured in the blast have been removed to the state-run hospital in the town, officials said.

The incident came two days after a bicycle bomb explosion took place in the Trincomalee market, claiming the lives of 19 persons.

On Tuesday rebels set off a Claymore mine in the same district, killing 12 sailors.

The majority Sinhala community who follow Buddhism and the minority Tamils who follow the Hindu religion celebrated the traditional new year Friday.

The fresh incidents have dampened the new year celebrations as most of the funerals of the 12 sailors killed on Tuesday took place on Thursday in different parts of the country, while most of the funerals of those killed in the bomb explosion are due to be held on Saturday.

Tamil rebels of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) have been blamed from the attacks, but rebels have denied the allegations.

Rebels have called on the Norwegian government to delay holding the second round of peace talks due to be held in Geneva from April 19 to 21, claiming that consultations with their cadres in the eastern province had been delayed.

A dispute over providing transport for their senior cadres from the east to the north has been resolved with the intervention of the Scandinavian monitors.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/...ed_in_fresh_Claymore_mine_attack_in_Sri_Lanka

Oben