Newsletter aus Sri Lanka von Royston Ellis

sende Dir sit geschter nüme so chalti Grüess Aliel, sit geschter am Tag über null...freut mich Dis Feedback....finde dä Newsletter vom Royston jedesmal sehr spanned...

LG Premasiri :wink:

1.gif

TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 19 February 2012
Greetings from Sri Lanka! – And thanks to everyone who sent me greetings on my birthday last week. I retreated to my favourite town in the hills, Haputale, and enjoyed a quiet break with crisp sunny days and chilly nights.
Sherwood

52.jpg

The Sheriff of Nottingham wasn’t there but Kumara was on hand to mix birthday pre-breakfast champagne cocktails in the Sherwood Bungalow garden.

53.jpg

Early morning clouds wafted through the valley obscuring the magnificent view but were equally impressive.

54.jpg

The bungalow is old fashioned and basic (although it has modern loos and hot water showers) with two double bedrooms having bathrooms en suite, and a bedroom for two and a further bedroom for four people, with a bathroom across the hall. There is a cosy lounge and a smoky log fire for relaxing in the evening.

55.jpg

My favourite breakfast (at Rs500 [£ 2.85; US$ 4.34] each) of egg hoppers (a kind of crepe with an egg fried in the middle), hill country beef curry and seeni sambol (a sweet onion relish) helped revive us after the birthday party, and give us strength to explore the town’s Sunday market, where I bought these delicious, freshly uprooted potatoes, at Rs60 (.34p; .52c) a kg.

56.jpg

We decided not to buy a souvenir with a cutting edge

57.jpg

although I did consider having a shirt made by this venerable tailor.

58.jpg

More on Sherwood at http://www.sundaytimes.lk/100228/Plus/plus_13.html
Images of Kurumba
Have you ever stayed at Kurumba Village (as it was once called) in the Maldives? I was there recently as I am researching a book about the resort, which celebrates its Ruby Anniversary on 3 October 2012. It was the first resort to open in that Indian Ocean archipelago thus starting the tourist industry there, bringing unimagined progress and prosperity (and democratic pangs?) to neglected islands.

59.jpg

Lots of events are being planned to commemorate the occasion but the recent unrest that culminated in the ousting of a President was not part of the celebrations. Kurumba is looking for images of its past and is running a photo competition with the fantastic prize of a week’s free stay for two in a luxury pool villa with daily champagne breakfasts, evening cocktails, lunches and dinners in the main restaurant, and transfers by speed boat from and to the airport.
All you have to do to win this free holiday is submit a photograph before 31 March 2012, taken by you of Vintage Kurumba. The best will earn its photographer the super prize, plus the chance of enjoying the modern Kurumba Maldives as it is today. Check: http://www.facebook.com/kurumbamaldives
Airline Food
I mentioned in an earlier newsletter (No. 95) the curious concept of a new restaurant in Colombo that serves airline food. Actually, it is run by the catering branch of Sri Lankan Airlines. The name of the restaurant, on the left of the arched entrance to the old Dutch Hospital complex in Colombo, is Semondu, apparently one of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] century names for Sri Lanka.

60.jpg

The décor is formidable with an array of ringed lanterns stretching the length of the restaurant and floors with flashing coloured lights. There is a bar counter fronting an open show kitchen at the far end where chefs potter. Tables are large. each meant for four guests, with heavy L-shaped, leatherette upholstered chairs that have only one arm rest. Service, to my delight, was competent although whether the gentlemen (not all young) have ever been – or aspire to be – airline stewards, I didn’t ask.
I went at midday and discovered there is a set menu lunch served within 45-minutes, with a starter and main course costing Rs1,295 [£ 7.40; $ 11,26] or main course alone at Rs890 [£ 5.08; £ 7.73]. Dessert is extra. The price includes a glass of wine or beer and service charge and taxes, so it is an attractive proposition.
The lunch menu featured several choices of skewers, rice dishes, a three-cheese pasta, and steak on baguette, while the dinner menu boasted Black Angus Steak (Rs2,600++, £14.85++; $ 22.60++) and Duck Breast (Rs2,400++; £ 13.71++; $ 20.86++ ). My Greek Salad starter was crisp with a few cubes of feta cheese while my guest’s Caesar Salad with chicken was a basic Caesar topped with two chicken skewers.

61.jpg

I opted for a main course of five mixed skewers: two prawn (lightly poached); one beef (predictably chewy) and two chicken skewers which were of a disturbing, undercooked consistency. However, since I have been served undercooked chicken so often in Sri Lanka I am wondering if it is the latest foodie fashion?
The rice was packed with flavour (and prawn pieces) and there was a peanut sauce and crisp salad vegetables. Presentation was neat with the airline signature touch of all the dishes presented on a tray.
Back to the Sixties
Not airline food, but one of my books. A new edition of The Big Beat Scene first published in 1961 is available from http://musicmentor0.tripod.com/book_big_beat_scene.html.

It recounts the dawn of the Swinging Sixties – without the benefit of hindsight – and should bring back happy memories to some readers, while giving new generations an insight into how the beat began.

62.jpg

“An enlightening and humorous insight with plenty of names and behind-the-scenes glimpses… never a word is wasted. The book is written as if the reader is joining in a conversation about, and with, the artistes.” The Beat (July 2010)
Beat regards
Royston Ellis.

Liebe Grüsse an alle die diesen Newsletter lesen

Premasiri :wink:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 26 February 2012.
Sunny greetings from Sri Lanka (and from the Maldives where I was last week.)
Sri Lanka’s Malibu
That’s what they are calling Narikela pure coconut liquor made in Sri Lanka and given the Sanskrit word for coconut. It comes in an attractive blue, 750ml bottle, costing in the region of Rs900 (£ 5.00; US$ 7.50). The label claims “every drop in this bottle is distilled from naturally fermented Coconut Toddy which has a history that dates back over 2,600 years.”

82.jpg

It adds: “Narikela is produced using the latest technology designed by French experts to bring out the distinctive flavour of coconut to satisfy the connoisseur.” It has a strength of 23% v/v and is recommended to be consumed straight or with a mix of Cola, Soda, Pineapple, Lime or Apple Juice.
It’s a bit sweet but certainly has the essence of moonlight in the tropics.

Bar Stools
I was told about Narikela by the barman of The Bandarawela Hotel, that hostelry built in 1892 for enervated planters on a rest cure, and still soldiering on as a traditional, colonial style hotel packed with charm, comfortable sanatorium style beds with brass knobs, and food -- like mixed grill platter, scotch egg, and shepherd’s pie – cooked for trenchermen.

83.jpg

The lounge bar has inherited these bar stools from the old public bar, which is now closed but still houses a pool table. The stools each have that broad seat beloved by broad-seated planters more used to riding to the hotel’s pub on horse back than arriving by 4WD.
The intelligent and knowledgeable barman presides over an impressive collection of malt whiskies and is a dab hand with cocktails, some of which feature Narikela. With its 50-year-old fridge, an old wireless and other colonial knickknacks, the Bandarawela Hotel and its bar is a welcome anachronism in 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century Sri Lanka.
I celebrated my 50[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday there and when I went back 21 years later to the day, nothing had changed -- so the years seemed to roll away.

Airline seating
In Newsletter 97, I reviewed some airline food served at the Sri Lankan Airlines restaurant in Colombo; last week I sampled it on board when I flew by SriLankan to Maldives. My gluten free meal (a nice peppery chicken steak) was delicious. So was the seating!
I was lucky that an A330 Airbus usually used on long haul routes was put on the short sector so I got to try out the new business class seating, now available on five of the airline’s Airbuses. It is super, with layout retained as AC/DG/HK in three rows.

84.jpg

Each seat is a newly designed version in two parts: the seat and a built in pouffe opposite as the footrest. The seat reclines at the push of a button and transforms into a comfortable, almost flat bed. The pillow cases are an attractive maroon and green weave, instead of the usual hospital bleached white, and there is an extra cushion. The seat and television controls are high-tech and neat, not cumbersome gadgets. There are no dividing panels that make a business class cabin look so claustrophobic; instead the cabin has a reassuring, comfortable look to it.

I wish I could say the same about the refurbished business class cabins on SriLankan’s A320 aircraft. They are not an improvement because, even though they have leather instead of fabric upholstery, they have very little recline. The space previously used by reclining seat backs has been utilised to cram five rows into the cabin, making it appear crowded. OK, perhaps, for a short flight but even for a four hour flight by A320, such as I have to make to Singapore next week, could be uncomfortable.
Vittaveli
No, it’s not a wholesome designer-label mineral water; Vittaveli is the name of the newest resort opened in the Maldives and managed by the modern, upmarket Jumeirah Hotels of Dubai. So I expected it to be rich in sophistication but I was unprepared for its smooth rustic luxury.

85.jpg

Every one of the 39 over water lagoon villas has its own swimming pool, while beach villas each have an L-shaped pool doubling as a serene water feature.

86.jpg

The villas are incredibly spacious with a bedroom flowing to a dressing room, to a living room, and enough deck space for a galleon. The clever modern touches (Apple Media system for music and surfing the internet on the flat screen television; a floor that illuminated itself when I stood on it) are complemented by chunky wooden furniture resembling works of art.

87.jpg

Visually the resort is stunning because of the artistic use of bamboo as elevated fencing, creating amusing landscapes among the tangled vegetation. Intriguing infrastructure alone, however, does not make a resort fun for a holiday but Vittaveli also excels with its positive, caring staff. They seemed so happy to be working there, and their pleasure and enthusiasm communicated itself easily to guests.
It’s a resort for families (with a family pool and clubs for kids and teenagers) that somehow has all the seclusion that romantic couples, statesmen, company chairmen or incognito celebrities cherish. The food? Let’s start with the five exotic cheeses platter with gluten-free bread, and smoked salmon with champagne, for breakfast…
(www.jumeirah.com)

Sri Lanka Guide Book
88.jpg

I’m told by the manager of the Vijitha Yapa Bookshop at the popular Crescat Shopping Mall in Colombo that this book sells out so quickly in Sri Lanka, it might be advisable to buy a copy before visiting. It’s available through http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sri-Lanka-Bradt-Travel-Guides/dp/1841623466/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325554345&sr=8-1 or direct fromhttp://www.bradtguides.com/Book/198/Sri-Lanka.
Beat regards
Royston Ellis

auch ganz liebe Grüsse von Premasiri :wink:

Ha, den Barmann im Bandarawela-Hotel kenne ich auch, der gehört schon zum Inventar. ;)

TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 4 March 2012.
Welcome to readers around the world from sunny Sri Lanka.

Toof Doctor
That’s exactly what the sign outside a dentist’s surgery in Singapore, where I visited last week, said.

3.jpg

It reminded me of one of the wonders of Sri Lanka, and perhaps the reason for Sri Lankans having such bright, beaming smiles: Clogard Toothpaste. This is actually made in Sri Lanka and contains Fluoride and Clove Oil, said to be a trusted ingredient in traditional Sri Lankan dental preparations. At the end of a list of chemical ingredients on the box, it states “Natural Clove Oil and Nature Identical Clove Extracts.”

4.jpg

There was a court case a few years ago initiated by an international brand of toothpaste that seemed concerned about the similarity in name. There is no similarity about the punch this packs and indeed, as it says on the packet, “Feel your toothpaste work with every tingle.” On the manufacturer’s website it is described as having “a distinctive spicy flavour which will leave you with lasting fresh breath.” All that, and this pack of toothpaste and toothbrush costs only SLRs114 (£ 0.74p, US$ 0.94)!
Noticed
Driving to Lipton’s Seat through the cloud-shrouded rolling tea gardens of the Dambatenne Estate east of Haputale recently, I was puzzled to see a notice stuck among the tea bushes every 100 metres or so, that said “Buffer Zone.” What that meant and why there should be a sign in English announcing it, puzzled me.

5.jpg

At the rarefied height of Lipton’s Seat itself, where the view on a clear day reveals five provinces but is usually swaddled in swirling mist, there were more signs, including this pseudo-philosophical declaration (in English and Tamil but not Sinhala) “No wild animals to be kept in captivity.” Am I the only one to find such fatuous signs an eyesore amidst so much rural beauty?

Gold Elephant Award
Many years ago, when I was leaving the Maldives resort of Kurumba Village (as it was then called), I tripped as I was boarding the speedboat to the airport, and was saved from falling into the ocean by a charming and fascinating Italian gentleman.

Somehow over the years we have remained in touch (although he speaks no English, and I no Italian), so I was thrilled to learn last week that a short film he scripted called Di Terra in Terra (Land to Land) has been awarded the “First International Gold Elephant World” award as the “Best Film for Communications/Social Action.” It has also been nominated for the very important “Donatello Prize” in Rome.

6.jpg

Here is my friend, Piero Juvara with Lady Anna Multisanti and the film’s star, Jali Diabate, at the prize giving ceremony held, it seems, in a beautifully ornate room.

The short film tells the story of an African refugee in Italy, the horrors he has suffered, the trials of surviving in his adopted land, his sadness, and his hopes for the future. It is very moving.

The Facebook Royston
In Newsletter Number 65 (10 July 2011) I warned readers that I had been hacked by a hunk, as you can see from this photo that appears on Facebook of someone purporting to be Royston Ellis.

7.jpg

OK, I agree he looks a distinct improvement on me but I’ve discovered that he’s sending out messages in my name. So far they are incomprehensible (not, of course, like this newsletter) but I assure all my readers (now amounting to some 135,000) who might see them that those Facebook messages are not from me.
The only dealings I have had with Facebook was when I registered my previous cat, Lena Moise, on it. Foolishly I used my own email address, so that’s how I’m getting those strange messages from my handsome self.

Immigration Again
Contrary to expectations, the newly introduced advance visa process (ETA) whereby foreign visitors to Sri Lanka must obtain a visa reference number before travelling, has brought some benefits.
Foreigners, who are required to fill in a landing card before joining the queue at the immigration desks on arrival, no longer have to fill in another card on departure. They have only to present their passport at the immigration desk to receive an exit stamp. Sri Lankans are spared the paper work too, but in reverse. They no longer have to fill in a form prior to landing, but they do have to complete a form on departure.
(http://www.eta.gov.lk/slvisa/visainfo/center.jsp?locale=en_US

More on Airline Food
Sri Lankan Airlines operate a luxurious lounge for their business class passengers at the Colombo international airport where self-service meals are available according to the time of day. It was teatime when I was there recently and I was fascinated by a sign offering “Vanilla & Cheese Creps [sic] with Passion Fruit Juice.” Alas, I didn’t dare try one, as it surely wasn’t gluten free.

8.jpg

Diary Date
Wednesday 21 March, 7pm, Royal Geographical Society, 1 Kensington Gore, London SW7 2AR (events@rgs.org or http://www.rgs.org/travel). That’s when I join Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Dr Chris Nonis, in a presentation: “Discovering Sri Lanka.” I’ll be answering questions on touring Sri Lanka. I am visiting London especially for this event and would be delighted to meet friends and readers at the RGS that evening. The £15 entrance fee includes a glass of wine!

Beat regards

Royston Ellis

wünsche allen einen schönen Sonntag und gute Gesundheit

Tropical Topics, 11 March 2012
Greetings, and welcome to this, the centenary edition of my weekly newsletter on Tropical Topics.

Made In Sri Lanka
The thrill of living in Sri Lanka is not solely the beauty of the scenery and the people; it is derived from discovering the ingenuity of people too. There is so much talent here.

Several years ago a young man from Bentota dreamed up the idea of making toothpicks from discarded cinnamon roots, not just from any old wood splintered and soaked in cinnamon oil. Thus Pranjapani Cinnamon Toothpicks were born.

I’ve noticed that many restaurants seem reluctant to put toothpicks on the table. I’ve always used a toothpick after a meal and even had one made especially for me in gold by a local goldsmith.

15.jpg

A neat enhancement of the value of Pranjapani Toothpicks is that they are sold in a wooden container with 100 cinnamon toothpicks, costing Rs300 (£ 1.66 US$ 2.54). This makes them ideal for presents and for presenting on the table at a dinner party. A refill pack of 100 toothpicks costs Rs100.

16.jpg

The label is very persuasive about why toothpicks are good for you. It states: “Cinnamon toothpicks provide medicine for your mouth, boosts brain activity and helps to get healthy gums and breath fresh…Quit smoking by chewing a cinnamon toothpick…Take a break and refresh yourself by chewing a cinnamon toothpick.”

Ingenious indeed!

Oh My Cod!
17.jpg

On the self-service counter in front of the show kitchen at the Amara Hotel in Singapore where I stayed recently, I saw this succulent-looking, large flaked, white fish delicately grilled.

“What’s that?” I asked the chef.

“Chilean sea bass,” he said -- and I eagerly helped myself to a large portion.

“Actually, it’s cod,” said the Singaporean kitchen boy with a grin.

18.jpg

Whatever it was, it tasted delicious. I see from a Google entry (which also has a photo of a hideous fish) this comment: “I am a big fan of Chilean sea bass but because of the very high cost, I don't buy it very often. I am amazed at how such an ugly fish can taste so good.”

While I was enjoying the fish, I was presented with a grilled half-lobster, actually included in the buffet price of the equivalent of Rs3, 610 (£ 20.05; US$ 30.60). With lots of crab and oysters, stuffed cuttlefish, lamb chops and other meats, salads, and a platter of ripe French cheeses, it was amazing good value, as well as good eating.

Blog: 100 Not Out
I was visiting Singapore for the second time in 10 days (life’s like that for a working freelance ghost writer) and, on the flight there, had a chance to reflect on the 100 issues of this newsletter. It started off in April 2010 without any clear format beyond expressing my enthusiasm for Sri Lanka. It continues like that as I write about what intrigues me in the hope that readers are interested too.

One reader said he hopes to see the newsletter in book form with an index so he could easily find topics. Andrew, my webmonster who designs and uploads this newsletter every week and created the basics for it, tells me that readers should go to www.roystonellis.com/blog where there is a search box in which they can enter the topic they want to find, click on the icon and up comes the relevant newsletter. So that acts like an index.

London visit
In a few days, on Monday 19 March, I fly to London to take part in a presentation about Sri Lanka at the Royal Geographical Society. I have been digging out my warm clothes, including woollen underwear I bought in Chile a few years ago, as I know it will be too cold for me. Last year, on my visit to London to attend the unveiling of my portrait at an exhibition of photographs at the National Portrait Gallery, I wore my lined Burberry trench coat and a French beret to keep my bald head warm.

19.jpg

I was startled as I walked across Trafalgar Square to be snapped by lurking paparazzi. Afterwards someone explained that it must have been because of the way I was dressed, such a contrast to the drab clothes of everyone else. Well, the Burberry is nearly 40 years old.

At the RGS, I’ll be answering questions about holidaying in Sri Lanka. (See: http://www.rgs.org/travel.) My fellow panellist is Sri Lanka’s energetic High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Dr Chris Nonis (seen here).

20.jpg

Dr Nonis has lived for many years in the UK, where he worked in the public health sector, and academia, before returning to Sri Lanka to head the family business. He was appointed as the Deputy Chairman of the Royal Commonwealth Society (of which I am myself a Life Fellow) in 2008, and is the first Sri Lankan to hold this office in the Society’s 140-year old history.
At the time of his being chosen as the Sri Lankan envoy to the UK and Ireland, Dr Nonis was functioning as the Chairman of the Mackwoods Group of Companies, which was established in 1841.
I look forward to meeting friends and readers at the RGS on Wednesday 21 March. It should be an interesting evening. Fortunately, the entrance fee of £15 includes a glass of wine!

Beat regards

Royston Ellis

Einen schönen Sonntag wünsche ich Euch allen

Die Zahnstocher kenne ich auch und die sind immer ein nettes Mitbringsel in der dekorativen Holzdose.

Als mir einmal meine normalen Zahnstocher aus gegangen waren, habe ich diese benutzt um meine Rindsroulanden zuzupicken.
Der Zimtgeschmack gab den Rouladen sogar eine gute Geschmacksnote, dass ich nun immer die srilankischen Zahnstocher dafür benütze. :dafuer:

Und ich dachte immer,ich wäre die einzige die die Zahnstocher zu hauf nach Deutschland schleppt...Danke für den Tipp mit den Rouladen!!!
Bisher verwendete ich sie nur als solches und hab sie wenn Besuch da war mit hingestellt...aber jetzt tun sich völlig neue Möglichkeiten auf...
LG Ginger

Tropical Topics, 18 March 2012
Welcome to readers new and old to this weekly round up from Sri Lanka of some tropical topics
Made in Sri Lanka.
From Tom, my great nephew currently coaching at a Football Academy in Sierre Leone (and who loves visiting Sri Lanka), came this jubilant email message: Bought a packet of biscuits at a market and turns out they are imported from Sri Lanka - Munchee natural ginger biscuits!

22.jpg

So I found an 80g packet of Munchee Ginger Biscuits at my local supermarket at a cost of SLRs35 (£ .18p; US$ .29c). They are indeed manufactured in Sri Lanka, by Ceylon Biscuits Limited in Pannipitiya, a suburb of Colombo. According to the packet, the ingredients are wheat flour, sugar, vegetable oil, natural ginger powder, malt, sodium and ammonium bicarbonate, salt, soya lechithi, natural spices, permitted flavour and colour.

The aroma of ginger (and malt?) was tantalising when I opened the packet but, alas, I dared not try one because of the wheat flour (= gluten). However, they didn’t last long at home so they must be a pretty good munch.

Fishy

In last week’s newsletter I mentioned how I enjoyed Chilean Seabass (cod actually) in Singapore, so when I was in Colombo on Friday (to have my haircut for next week’s event at the RGS, see below), I went to one of my favourite restaurants, the Lagoon at the Cinnamon Grand Hotel.

It’s been open for a few years now but it remains refreshingly free of slick service, letting guests concentrate on choosing what they want to eat from the fish and crustaceans on display on the chilled counter.

There is a menu but most guests line up at the counter, make their selection, have it weighed, and then retreat to the table while cooks work their magic.

There is a great range of sauces and cooking options and, fortunately, a good drinks list too. I had Kir Royal at Rs800 (£ 4.21; US$ 6.66) while I waited, and waited…and then a plate of a dozen delicious oysters (Rs 1,300; £ 6.84; US$ 10.83) fresh from the west coast town of Negombo, just north of the airport, to keep me busy, before enjoying native steamed freshwater Modha (barramundi) swimming in garlic butter (Rs1,162; £ 6.12; $ 9.68).

Dinner Auction
On Wednesday 28 March in the gardens of the Dutch House in Galle there will be a chance to have a terrific dinner and spend money for a worthy cause at the same time. The menu will be by Skye Gyngell, the Michelin starred chef from Petersham Nursery in London, who has just closed her restaurant as she finds the Michelin star has brought her more business than she and her restaurant could happily cope with.

25.jpg

After the dinner there will be an auction of donated items to support the charity founded by Sri Lanka’s ace cricketer (and brilliant after dinner speaker) Kumar Sangakarra. Called 'Bikes for Life' this is a campaign to raise money to purchase bicycles for children living in the rural areas surrounding Kilinochchi, Mankulam and Mullativu.

26.jpg

One bicycle at the cost of about US$100 provides countless benefits to a rural community member's life, allowing him or her access to employment, markets for sale and purchase of goods, and to water and food sources. Crucially, for thousands of rural children, the ownership of a bike is the key to a life-transforming education.

The event at Dutch House will start at 7.00pm with cocktails; dinner will be served at 8.15pm. The auction will start at 9.30pm. There will be dancing afterwards. The cost is Rs 2,500 (£ 13.15; $ 20.83) per person for the dinner.

If you’re living in or visiting Galle, hope to see you there! Reserve through: info@thesunhouse.com

SMRT?
Not a typo for SMART. It stands for the Singapore Mass Rapid Transit System and I used it last week to get from Changi Airport to Tanjong Pagar station, which was a one-minute walk from the super efficient Amara Hotel where I was staying.
There is an easy system for buying a ticket. At the Changi SMRT station ticket machine, I clicked a button requesting a ticket, and then tapped the destination on the route map. The machine requested S$3.20 (Rs304; £ 1.60; $ 2.55) so I fed in 2 two-dollar notes and received the change and a plastic card to use as a pass through the turnstiles.

2.jpeg

The journey from the airport to my hotel took 30 minutes, about the same time as a taxi but at a tenth of the price. When I reached my destination, I went to another ticket machine, fed in the plastic card and received one dollar back: a clever scheme to make sure tickets are recycled and not scattered as litter.

27.jpg

On the train I experienced one of those life-defining moments that make one face up to reality. I was quite happily strap hanging (I only had a slim briefcase as my luggage) when a beautiful young lady stood up and offered me her seat. She insisted -- so I had to take it. I know she was being kind and polite, but she certainly made me feel my age.

I wonder if anyone will offer me a seat when I use the Underground during my visit to London next week?

Discovering Sri Lanka
I shall be in London to take part in a panel discussion at the Royal Geographical Society on Wednesday 21 March on the topic “Discovering Sri Lanka,” having been invited to take part because of my Bradt guidebook about Sri Lanka. Tickets are available at £15, which includes a glass of wine. More information on http://www.rgs.org/WhatsOn/Travel+Events.htm

Hat das Cinnamon Hotel früher nicht Trans Asia geheissen?? Wen ja habe ich dort auch schon sehr gut Indisch gegessen. Mit Royston Ellis, Nell, Swiss Papa und meiner Tochter Andrea.

Ingwerplätzchen liebe ich und backe sie seit Jahren selbst.

Hier mal mein Rezept für euch:

1 Ei
3 Eigelb
250 gr. Puderzucker
250 gr. Mehl
1 - 2 Eßlöffel fein geriebener Ingwer je nach Geschmack

Eigelb, das Ei und Puderzucker über heissem Wasserdampf zu einem dicken Brei rühren.

Unter ständigem Rühren abkühlen lassen.

Den Ingwer mit dem Mehl mischen und die Creme unterrühren. Möglichst schnell verarbeiten.

Den Teig 1/2 cm dick ausrollen und runde Plätzchen ausstechen.

Die Plätzchen auf dem Blech noch 1 Stunde gehen lassen und dann bei 180° ca. 15 min backen.

Die Plätzchen kann man erst nach ein paar Tagen essen, da sie sehr hart sind.

Danke fürs Einstellen vom NL, Premasiri! :smil_dankä:
Das hat mich auf die Idee gebracht, mal wieder meine Ingwer-Plätzchen zu backen.

:danke: Claudia für das Ingwerplätzchenrezept...werde ich irgendwann mal nachbacken.

Greetings to readers worldwide from a weary me, having just travelled to London and back to Sri Lanka in three days.

Discovering Sri Lanka
I was in London to take part in an event at the Royal Geographical Society on “Discovering Sri Lanka.” A full report on that next week.

I carry photographs with me on my travels to remind me of Sri Lanka, and this is a simple one that cheers me up when I contemplate the grey streets, grey skies and grey people of London. Here is purple bougainvillaea, scarlet hibiscus and (look closely) white frangipani, together with concrete ducks (too tough for the snakes to eliminate, as happened with my real ones) in my garden.

32.jpg

Cocktail Gore
Before going to London I checked out the hotel (The Gore in Kensington) where I was to stay and discovered that there are four brand new delicious cocktails on the hotel’s Bar 190 menu this month. The hotel has announced a competition with an award of a £50 bar tab for a self-portrait photograph of a guest drinking one of the new cocktails and posted to the hotel’s facebook or twitter page.

33.jpg

The hotel’s website proclaims that Bar 190 “is a haven in the heart of Central London offering luxurious yet intimate surroundings where guests can unwind with a wide range of signature cocktails, made with home infused spirits to keep them entertained for hours.” I’ll let you know if that’s true in next week’s newsletter.

SAVING THE RHINO
What is that makes a mature and successful literary agent suddenly turn to song, not just writing the music for a very catchy ditty, but also singing it with a lilting Flight of the Conchords’ verve?

Guy Rose has been my occasional literary agent for many years and is still trying hard to get a film made of my historical epic, now known as The Maldives Avenger.
34.jpg

To my bemusement he has taken to championing the cause of the Black Rhino in song. Click on this link to hear something unusual; worrying because of its message, but nevertheless a jolly tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMm1YGAF2x4

High Speed Alert
After months of comparative peace as the railway line that runs alongside my garden was being re-laid, I was rudely awoken from my siesta last Sunday by a loud klaxon and the rushing of an engine with a dozen carriages speeding along the track. The horn was necessary to alert traffic at the level crossing (without a gate as yet) near the house.

35.jpg

How high a speed the high speed train will be able to achieve along a track without fencing or level crossing gates remains to be seen; but at least it’s possible to travel the west coast from Alutgama to Galle by train again.

Dinner Auction
It takes place on Wednesday 28 March at The Dutch House, high above Galle. The menu will be by Skye Gyngell, the Michelin starred chef from Petersham Nursery in London, who has just closed her restaurant as she finds the Michelin star has brought her more business than she and her restaurant could happily cope with.

After the dinner there will be an auction of donated items to support the charity founded by Sri Lanka’s ace cricketer (and brilliant after dinner speaker) Kumar Sangakarra. Called 'Bikes for Life' this is a campaign to raise money to purchase bicycles for children living in the rural areas surrounding Kilinochchi, Mankulam and Mullativu.

36.jpg

I have offered this fascinating chart for the auction. It is in fact two charts on one huge folded sheet (122cm x 100cm). Showing the approach to Galle Harbour, it is based on an original survey by Sea Lark in 1907, first printed 1908, with updates until 1938. Printed January 1973. Uncoloured, it shows all aspects of Galle both inland and at sea from Gintota to Unawatuna. Unframed and rolled up, it’s a fine piece for framing, so I hope someone buys it to sponsor at least one bike.

Read Me
Andrew, my webmonster (that's his name for what he does), has started a magazine and website, succinctly called Read Me (www.readme.lk).

2.png

Its logo says it’s an ‘Information Technology’ magazine – a pair of words that make the brain of this old poet shrink with trepidation.

37.jpg

Anyway, he has set up a nice office and I wish him and his colleagues the very best with their new venture. If this newsletter, which Andrew designs and circulates every week, is late, ‘read me’ may well become ‘beat me!’

The Big Beat Scene
That’s a cue for me to mention again my book The Big Beat Scene which has a new foreword and afterword added to the text originally published in 1961. It’s available through: http://musicmentor0.tripod.com/book_big_beat_scene.html.

And, yes, read me.

Beat regards
Royston Ellis

auch von mir die besten Wünsche Premasiri :wink::wink:

TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 1 April 2012.
Sunny greetings from Sri Lanka with a star-studded newsletter this week.
Alms Giving
1.jpeg

We had an alms giving at home on Monday to commemorate three months since the passing of a dear friend, and long term resident of Sri Lanka, Beryl Harding Marsh (see Newsletter 90). Neel invited 10 monks to the cottage and, after they had chanted and delivered some short sermons, they were given alms in the form of a breakfast of rice, string hoppers, fish, chicken and prawn curries, served by villagers.
2.jpeg

Discover Sri Lanka

It was standing room only when I joined HE Dr Chris Nonis, the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka to Great Britain, in a presentation at the Royal Geographical Society in London on Wednesday 21 March.
I had flown over by Qatar Airways from Colombo the day before and, although everybody was saying how warm it was for March, I found the wind bitterly cold.
4.jpeg

I was well wrapped up (as can be seen here in this photograph by my guide book publisher, Hilary Bradt, of myself and Madeleine Bell, the Programmes Manager of the RGS outside the building), but nevertheless succumbed to a filthy cold the next morning and returned to Sri Lanka in a tempest of sneezes.
The presentation began with a thought-provoking address by Dr Nonis on the real situation in Sri Lanka, as opposed to the one that anti-Sri Lankan activists are trying to portray. I followed in lighter vein urging tourists and travellers to visit Sri Lanka soon, not just to see for themselves but also “before the rest of the world moves in – and changes Sri Lanka so it becomes like the rest of the world.”
The event was chaired by Dr Rita Gardner, Director of the Royal Geographical Society, who controlled the questioning with aplomb. I was fortunate that Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, the Sri Lanka wildlife expert, was in the audience, as he was able to answer some probing questions about whale watching and boating.
The next morning, Gehan sent me this link, which everyone interested in Sri Lankan wildlife will find fascinating. http://www.jetwingeco.com/index.cfm?mid=6&id=1552&sid=1552&iid=6&section=sectionsub&list=0
Bar Dynamics
I stayed at the elegantly colonial Gore Hotel, Kensington, where I was intrigued to discover a term I hadn’t heard before, called “Dynamic Pricing.” I was given a list of the rack rate prices for each of its 50 bedrooms, and told that the rates were the maximum; the actual price of a room would depend on the day’s dynamics and other conditions such as a corporate discount, and would drop according to demand.
My attic “Queen Room” was listed at £240 (that’s SLRs49,200 at today’s high rate of SLRs205 to 1GBP) with continental breakfast. I lunched in the hotel’s restaurant on sea bream with prawn and chilli omelette and cucumber pickle (£ 16.95; Rs 3,474, plus 12.5% service charge). I’ve had better fish in Sri Lanka although presenting it on a mattress of prawn and chilli omelette instead of on a bed of mashed potato, was a new idea for me. However, I am always puzzled when confronted by fish served upside down, ie: with the skin side uppermost, as shown here.
5.jpeg

An unexpected pleasure of The Gore is its genuine Edwardian bar where skilled barmen specialise in enticing cocktails ingeniously infused with spices and flavour, not just 50ml of shaken spirits. My Pisco Sour was a revelation, mellowing the harshness of the pisco with a creamy, alluring winsomeness.
6.jpeg

Dutch Auction
Actually, this was an auction held at the Dutch House above Galle in aid of cricketer Kumar Sangakkara’s charity: Bikes For Life. It wasn’t a Dutch auction in the sense of the price being reduced until a buyer is found, but a vigorous session of bidding after a jolly dinner in the beautiful setting of the candle-lit garden of this chic unique antique boutique hotel.
The set three-course dinner (not a dreaded buffet) cost just Rs2,500 (£ 12.20; US$ 20) which, as one English guest who was visiting for the Sri Lanka v England 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Test match said, was the cheapest meal he has had on his holiday here. Charity dinners in England, he said, are usually priced higher then normal to raise more money.
Guests were treated to complimentary vodka cocktails lavishly poured from glass jugs as they strolled around the lawn trying to find their tables. That’s how Neel met Sri Lanka’s former captain Kumar Sangakarra.

The cricketer’s aim is to raise funds to buy bikes (at about US$100 each) for deprived children living in the rural areas of the north. He was helped in this at the dinner by the ebullient entrepreneur and hotelier, Geoffrey Dobbs and his staff, led by the tireless Henri (alas soon to leave after 10 years at the Sun and Dutch Houses). The service (aided by some glamorous volunteers) and the organisation were superb, while the dinner of prawns with cucumber shooter followed by chunky golden chicken curry was delicious.
The mariner’s chart of Galle Harbour based on a survey by Sea Lark in 1907 that I donated, was the third lot. It sold for Rs55,000 (£ 268; $ 440). The evening garnered SLRs3.8 million which, with a further donation from Geoffrey Dobbs of Rs200,000, is enough for 400 bikes.
Congrats to all concerned. It was a wonderful evening in great company although, oddly enough, only at the end did we realise we were sitting at the same table as the former captain of England, Michael Vaughan.
1.jpg

Beat
8.jpeg

While in London I was able to meet my oldest friend, Jimmy Page, whom I have known since we appeared on stage together (he on guitar, me spouting poetry) in 1959. Jimmy has written the introduction to my eBook collection of poems: BEAT.
It’s available from www.roystonellis.com/shop with payment of £ 2.99 by credit card via the secure site of Paypal.
9.jpeg

Beat regards
Royston Ellis

wünsche allen noch einen schönen Palmsonntag

2.jpg

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hallo Premasiri,

ich möchte endlich mal ein Danke an Dich für diesen Thread loswerden! Ich les hier die Newsletter von Royston Ellis nur zu gern und mit grossem Interesse.

L.G., Biggi

Auch ein :smil_dankä:an Dein Feedback, Biggi. Für mich ist es immer sehr spannend was Royston und Neel sein Manager und Uebersetzer wieder erlebt haben. Wenn man die Personen persönlich kennt ist es sowie so etwas wie ein Heimkommen. ( kann es nicht richtig erklären ) Royston ist ein sehr kultivierter netter Mann der sich immer mit mir in Englisch unterhalten hat, auch wenn ich ein Englisch mit einem açon federal spreche.....

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Die Berichte sind immer lesenswert. Danke Premasiri und en Gruess :wink:

Aliel

au en Gruess retour und au Dir es :danke: für's Feedback.

TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 8 April 2012.
From Sri Lanka, greetings to readers around the world, and thanks for giving this site 953,988 hits during March.

Scrape
I discovered this odd object forgotten in a corner when the shelves in the kitchen of my 108 year-old cottage collapsed through old age and woodworm last week.

10.jpeg

It would have been used to scrape the flesh out of dried coconuts for making curries creamy, as can be guessed from the ratchet fitted to the sharp end. It is a “one-off” as it is actually bone, and appears to come from the front part of an elephant’s skull.

Beach Carnival
There have been several attempts to drum up excitement on the beaches of Sri Lanka with various festivals organised in places like Hikkaduwa and Negombo. But many tourists move out of their beach hotels then since they come for Sri Lanka’s tranquil serenity, not carnival mayhem.

11.jpeg

On Friday & Saturday 30 & 31 March, it was Bentota’s turn. It was obviously going to be a success from the amount of effort put in before the event. Huge posters, banners and flags were on display beside the Galle road and for days it was the topic of excited conversation amongst the local youth.

There were sports and beach games, including volley ball and a tug of war, and cultural performances followed by a beach party with local and international DJs until the early hours on both nights. Entrance fee was Rs1000 (£ 5; US$ 8).
A welcome innovation was the number of food stalls, including one selling cheese kottu roti, an intriguing snack of chopped up roti (flour pancake), vegetables, chicken curry gravy and beaten egg, topped with cheese. (See No. 22, 12 September 2010).The organisation, by Bentota Sports Club, The Sunshine Water Sports Club and the Hawkeyes Club of the Military Intelligence Corps was magnificent. Those tourists who checked out of their hotels should have stayed; it was fun and completely safe.
Bar Fly
Flying can be so tiresome, it is worth patronising airlines that do their best to make it a pleasant experience on the ground as well as in the air. So I heartily endorse the introduction by Qatar Airways of their lounge for Business and First class passengers at London’s Heathrow Airport. It actually has caring, intelligent people to serve (and guide if necessary) passengers caught in that no man’s land of waiting for departure. (Unlike other airline premium lounges where passengers are obliged to serve themselves.)
The barman in the Qatar lounge at Heathrow when I flew recently from London to Colombo was called Vinnie and he came from Mauritius, a country he was so enthusiastic about, he made me want to visit there again. The biggest joy, however, was the selection of Islay Single Malt Whiskies, so the waiting period passed painlessly with the help of a few drams of Laphroaig.

12.jpeg

Tea Break
It was 8am Qatar time when I found myself in the premium lounge at Doha’s airport awaiting my onward connecting flight. I was surprised to discover that alcohol (except champagne) was not available until 10am. Strange, as for passengers in transit, it was the perfect time to have a snifter.
Instead I propped myself up at the tea bar where I was delighted to savour Dilmah loose leaf teas from Sri Lanka brewed on demand by a smartly dressed tea barman, Aravinda, who comes from Kandy. He was praising Sri Lanka so much, it was a pleasure to meet and hear him doing such a lot to promote the country…and Pure Ceylon Tea.
Although I loathe tea made with teabags, instead of loose leaf tea, I resort to using them when travelling, as I never check into a hotel without a miniature kettle and a bundle of tea bags in my suitcase. That’s not because I resent paying the high price hotels demand for tea, but because I like tea when I wake at 4am and can’t cope with room service (or anyone) at that hour. So I make my own tea in my room, frequently with Dilmah teabags which come in a variety of flavours, including unblended single estate Ceylon tea (from a single source in the manner of a single malt whisky).

13.jpeg

Dilmah’s Earl Grey Tea (shown here in a mug decorated with the Tamil alphabet) is 100% pure Ceylon tea of medium strength but deep tone with a refreshing fragrance of Bergamot. “Ceylon tea,” the packet says, “is renowned for its richness, full flavour, delightful bouquet and real tea character. Only strength and tone vary, depending on the elevation of tea gardens above sea level in low, mid and high grown regions.”

WWD
Did you miss it? WWD – World Whisky Day, commemorated this year on Tuesday 27 March. Luckily a fellow lover of single malt whiskies tipped me off in time so I was able to celebrate the day with a tasting of whiskies, watched by a curious Ollie, the cat, as the sun set.

14.jpeg

Honoured Again?
Last year (see No. 86) The American Biographical Institute very kindly offered to make me a “Man of the Year” for a mere US$295. Since I declined the “honour” the Institute is trying again to gouge US$295 from me, this time to sell me a plaque bestowing upon me the title “American Order of Merit.” I would be entitled to add the letters AOM after my name. That probably really stands for “Another Obvious Mug.”

Beat This
15.jpeg

Where else, I wonder, can one buy and download the collected poems of a published 1960s beat poet in an eBook for just £2.99? Only at www.roystonellis.com/shop, with a credit card via the secure site of Paypal. “This incredible collection of poems, a testimony of the times and lifestyle of 50 years ago, resonates even today.” Rollicking reading!

Beat regards,
Royston Ellis

An alle die den Newsletter lesen sende ich kalte und am Morgen weisse Ostergrüsse aus der Schweiz....

Premasiri die seit dem Karfreitag bis und mit Ostermontag am arbeiten ist :wink:

Ich glaube, in der Markthalle in Stuttgart habe ich Tee von Dilmah gesehen :gruebel:
Da muss ich nächstes Mal genauer hinsehen.

Oben