Newsletter aus Sri Lanka von Royston Ellis

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 146

Sunday, 3 February 2013.
Welcome to this weekly newsletter on Sri Lanka and other tropical topics.
Made in Sri Lanka
Honey made by the bees of Sri Lanka is thin but rich in flavour. I discovered this when I found in the local supermarket, a plastic bottle of Uva Bee Honey, 100% pure, according to the label. It claims to be “Natural wild bee’s honey” but adds a note of caution, “Colour and flavour may vary according to the near by flora.” The 250ml bottle cost Rs380 when I bought it last week, but this week it was selling for Rs450 [£ 2.25 US$ 3.60].
Uva Bee Honey
It is produced by Uva Bee Honey Industries in Buttala, Sri Lanka. Buttala is a hamlet by the A4 highway that links Colombo via Avissawella, Ratnapura and Beragala, across the island to Monaragala, Potuvil and the east coast. The Uva Province includes Bandarawela and the craggy beauty spot of Ella. It is renowned for its tea, which has a special quality imparted by the caressing of seasonal breezes. Tea and scones with butter and honey enjoyed on the veranda of an Uva hillside plantation bungalow? Perfection!
Lightning strike
A couple of weeks ago, at night, lightning struck one of the coconut trees in the garden. Last Sunday, two experts coconut trees came to inspect the damage and decided that a total of four trees had been affected and were dying. They had to be cut down.

Nalinda straps himself to the palm tree
The operation began with Nalinda, 33, shinning up the first tree (at least 60ft tall) and cutting down the branches. He tied ropes to the top of the tree, then strapped a wooden bar across the trunk to use as a support while he wielded an axe to chop at the top third of the tree. On the ground, his partner, Wasantha, and Kumara pulled on the ropes so the chopped trunk landed squarely on the lawn and not on the railway line running alongside the garden.

New garden furniture, palm trunk seat
The remainder of the tree was then efficiently felled and Wasantha used the chain saw to cut a smooth, level top to the trunk so we can use it as a garden table.
Chain saw being hoisted to cut trunk
Wasantha then climbed another tree and hoisted up the chain saw, which he used to cut down the top of the tree. It was a sad sight to see four noble trees, probably 60 years old, lying on the grass, but their life hasn’t ended.
Removing palm trunks

Wasantha’s team came the next day and took them away to cut up as boards and beams for house building.

Sugar sure is sweet
Sugar, in this case, refers to the Bistro & Wine Bar called Sugar that opened a few weeks ago in the Crescat Shopping Mall attached to Colombo’s Cinnamon Grand hotel. Wine Bar? Well it’s more of a boulevard café since it overlooks the Galle Road and you can’t even see a bottle of wine, although the wine list is extensive and wine is available by the glass.

Sugar n Spice
So are cocktails, and that’s where I tried this signature mix, called ‘Sugar and Spice’. It consisted of vodka, fresh strawberry juice, honey, balsamic vinegar and ground pepper, well and truly shaken. In spite of the ingredients, it tasted innocuous but had a jolly effect. [Rs 650; £ 3.25; US$ 5.20]
There is good menu too and my pepper crusted seared tuna and Asian salad with wasabi, mango and soya glaze is something I’ll try again; however, the “Asian” salad was lettuce and too much of it. [Rs450; £ 2.25; $ 3.60]. Sugar’s décor is simple and striking, with air-ducts coated in silver foil and nine odd clocks, all working, on the back wall.
One of the best waiters I’ve met in Colombo served us with the genuine care and style of an elegant butler. His name? Royston! (He’ll obviously do well!)
Sugar's Royston

Dog day
Next Sunday, 10 February, is an important date in Sri Lanka’s social calendar. Not because it happens to be my birthday but because on that day the Ceylon Kennel Club holds the 106[SUP]th[/SUP] & 107[SUP]th[/SUP] All Breeds Championship Dog Shows.
The Ceylon Kennel Club (http://www.ceylonkennelclub.com) was founded in 1899 “to take care of canine affairs in Ceylon” and to register recognised breeds in the country. It is very active and conducts dog handling classes as well as breed verification programmes and a “sponsor a street dog” campaign.
Sponsor a street dog
Every Sunday there is a page of advertisements in the magazine of the Sunday Times of Sri Lanka about dogs for sale, with Rottweilers being very popular. Last Sunday a one-year-old male Rottweiler was advertised at Rs 35,000 [£ 175; US$ 280].

Amazing Sri Lanka
This is the name of a new magazine, currently in its third edition, published by the Western Province Tourist Board (www.wptb.lk). Many visitors might ask why should the Western Province have its own magazine aimed at tourists, and where is the Western Province anyway?

Amazing Sri Lanka cover
Actually, at present, visitors to Sri Lanka arrive (whether by plane or boat) at the Western Province since the country’s main international airport and seaport (Colombo) are located there. The Western Province stretches from Negombo on the northwest coast, embracing Colombo and suburbs, including the Gampaha and Kalutara districts, down to Alutgama in the south. It comprises a landmass of 3,834.6 sq km and a population of 5,622,274.
It’s packed with attractions for tourists and has a dynamic Minister of Tourism (Nimal A Lanza) supported by a dedicated Chairman of the Western Province Tourist Board, Charles A Thomasz. Mr Thomas contacted me last year and asked if I would help, as Editorial Consultant, in the publication of a magazine highlighting not just the appeal of the Western Province but also the whole of Sri Lanka for tourists.
It was a suggestion I couldn’t refuse since it gives me another chance to promote Sri Lanka, my amazing adopted home for the past 33 years.
For more details about Sri Lanka, my Bradt Guide is available from: http://www.bradtguides.com/Book/552/Sri-Lanka.html
Sunny good wishes
Royston Ellis

leider seid gestern wieder zurück in der kalten verschneiten Schweiz...will wieder zurück auf die :smilinse: LG Premasiri :wink:

Das Magazin ist wirklich nicht schlecht und kann unter obigem Link gelesen werden. :danke:

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 147
Sunday 10[SUP]th[/SUP] February 2013.
Greetings to readers worldwide to this weekly newsletter touching on tropical topics.
Beachcombing
For many visitors, beaches are the reason for flying to Sri Lanka. The island is blessed with beaches for different bums: the traditional, conservative visitor would prefer relaxing Bentota; those thirsting for active beach action tend to end up in Negombo while ageing hippies head for Hikkaduwa. The south is popular for both high and low life, while the east coast attracts determined fans to its sprawling beaches from May to October.
Mirissa beach, surfers' corner
Last Sunday I took a trip south to visit the hidden cove of Mirissa, with its corner long popular with sun-seeking backpackers and amateur surfers and where surf boards and surfing lessons are available, while the rest of the beach caters for low-budget package and independent holidaymakers.

Wijaya seafood bar
More upmarket is Dalawella, closer to Galle, where a small beach has sprouted cabanas and restaurants that reveal the status of their customers, such as this notice outside Wijaya Restaurant advertising oysters (half-a-dozen with a glass of champagne, Rs2,500, [£ 12.50; US $20]), raw tuna sashimi style (Rs600; [£ 3; US $4.80]), and pizzas. The pizzas have won acclaim with locals too because the dough is roti thin, handmade every morning and baked to a crisp with generous toppings such as spinach and feta cheese (Rs 1,090 [£ 5.45; $ 8.72]).

Wijaya pizza oven
The beach at Unawatuna has never been able to forget once being hailed as one of the top ten best in the world. It won fame not just because of its golden sand and rolling waves but also because of its party atmosphere all day and all night. While laidback guesthouses and snack shacks survive, the mainstream Unawatuna Beach Resort, under new British ownership, is bringing back the traditional, relaxing and fun, concept of a beach holiday of quality with a colourful local touch.
Unawatuna Beach Resort, happy to serve

Scrabble Fiesta
I know it’s not something usually associated with Sri Lanka, but Scrabble plays a part in social life, especially on those bungalow verandas as shadows descend and, happily, there’s nothing much to do. For competitive scrabble players, and others who’d like to take part, there is a SCRABBLE BASH being held on Saturday 23[SUP]rd[/SUP] February from 9am to 4pm at the Lanka Alzheimer's Foundation, 110 Ketawalamulla Lane, Maradana (tel: 2667080).
Scrabble Bash 2012
The entry fee is Rs2,500 [£ 12.50, US$ 20] per individual or Rs10,000 for a team of four. The object is to raise funds for the Lanka Alzheimer’s Foundation and as there are elders who would like to participate, if you can’t (or forget to) turn up, why not sponsor a player or a team instead?

Rent for Retirement
Newly opened inland between the 56 & 58km posts on the Galle Road, between Beruwela and Alutgama, is Hettimulla River House with four apartments available for rent to tourists. Built overlooking a lawn by the bank of the winding Mallabokka River, they are in a charming and well-constructed (local timber, terracotta tiled floors) new villa (http://www.hettimullariverhouse.com).

Hettimulla River House room from balcony
The apartments, which are the idea of John Walsh, a British retired accountant, consist of two garden-level self-catering units and two upstairs bed & breakfast units. They are spacious, with modern, brushed grey cement walled bathrooms, and solid, local wood furniture. They are managed by Walsh’s Sri Lankan business partner and his family.
Hettimulla River House
When I asked Walsh for hints for prospective retirees who might want to invest in a similar income-generating (for Sri Lankans as well as himself) venture, he was emphatic that it can be done, but only with: (1) A trusted local partner who has contacts and ability, bound with a legal agreement; (2) Determination and lots of patience; and (3) An expandable budget (prices are rising and something unexpected always happens).

Flight hazards
As I boarded a recent flight by SriLankan Airlines I was surprised to be handy a leaflet warning me what I should not do on the aircraft, including “engage in any indecent behavior” [sic] (with an odd illustration of what constitutes such behaviour), tamper with safety devices, etc. It seems to imply that a serious hazard of flying is one’s fellow passengers.
SriLankan Airlines passenger information

Birthday Beat
It’s my birthday today and I am celebrating it in a bungalow on a tea plantation at Bandarawela in the hill country with a few friends. More about that next week. In the meantime, here’s photographic evidence for the web archives of some milestones in my life, so far.
Royston Ellis age 3 months (May 1941)

Royston Ellis (Eastcote, Middlesex 1949)

Royston Ellis with Black Roots (Dominica 1977)
Royston Ellis with Jimmy Page (Cambridge 1960 & London 2012)
You can read more about the rock ‘n’ roll years in my book, The Big Beat Scene, available from: http://musicmentor0.tripod.com/book_big_beat_scene.html.
The Big Beat Scene is back
Beat regards
Royston Ellis

Lot of greetings from Switzerland your Paula. Wish you a very plesant birthday

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 148

Sunday 17 February 2013.

Greetings from Sri Lanka, and thanks to readers who sent me birthday greetings last Sunday.

Super Highway
Sri Lanka’s first superhighway, connecting Colombo with Galle in the south, is a mixed blessing. While it does reduce (and smooths) the driving time between the two cities through virgin countryside, it can take an hour through heavy traffic to get to/from the centre of Colombo from/to the highway entrance at Kottawa to the east of the city.

For drivers from the south, however, who can join the Southern Expressway at Galle or at various village interchanges, it is a blessing. When I headed to the hills last week, taking the expressway and cutting out the customary long haul across country to bypass Colombo, the journey took an hour less than it used to.

Southern Expressway service centre sculpture
Near the Welipenna interchange (the one for Alutgama) there are two identical Service Centres, one on each side of the road, the entrances marked with a huge metal sculpture of a bird's skeleton (I think). These were opened in December and, according to one stall holder, they are very popular, often packed at night with the huge car park filled to capacity.

Southern Expressway service centre
A monumental sign outside the service centre records the opening of the expressway in hagiographic terms while inside is bright and cheerful and, when we stopped for breakfast, deserted.
Inside Southern Expressway service centre

My friends reported the breakfast of curries and string hoppers [Rs300; £ 1.50; US$ 2.40] was without much flavour, while I enjoyed a great cup of plain Uva tea from a dedicated tea counter for Rs40 [20p; 32c]. OK, so it was made with a tea bag but I had to have tea as there was no way of getting coffee unless it was pre-mixed with milk and sugar from a machine.
The centre also features a motor insurance counter, a juice counter, a souvenir shop, a supermarket, ATMs and toilets, but no petrol/diesel station.

Nostalgia
Our destination was Bandarawela. I celebrated my 50[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday in the Bandarawela Hotel and like to return there on my birthdays as the place (it’s now 120 years old) hasn’t changed since then – and it makes me feel I haven’t either. Neither Senani Perera, the manager, nor Richard, the barman, were expecting me but in the time it took to mix margaritas (made properly with freshly squeezed lime – Rs610; £ 3.05; $ 4.88) a mini-birthday cake appeared as a surprise.
Birthday at Bandarawela Hotel
We stayed at MF Bungalow (the letters actually represent the initials of the two brothers who own it but for me it represents “My Favourite” bungalow) about 6km out of Bandarawela. Custom built a few years ago in a colonial style (with a gramophone that plays LPs) the bungalow has six spotlessly clean bedrooms (each with attached bathroom with hot water). A room for two with hill country breakfast costs Rs8,400 [£ 42; $ 67.20].
The breakfast chilli-red tomato salsa and beef curry were both packed with flavour and delicious with egg hoppers. The bottle of single malt in this photograph was a breakfast present from Dr Najith Premalal, a thoughtful veterinarian.

Breakfast at MF Bungalow
Nuwara Eliya
The weather was refreshingly filthy in Nuwara Eliya: cold, damp, wet and miserable. No wonder they call the place Little England. But we went there to feel cold, as Sri Lankans of high (and low) fashion do during the April season when Colombo gets unbearably hot.
Dr Najith introduced me to his favourite bar located in the heart of a colonial manor called Ceybank Rest. Painted a striking aquamarine with appropriate upholstery for the plump armchairs, it is a contrast to the copper ceilings (alas over-painted cream) and ancient timber floors and stairs of the rest of the building.
The Resident Manager, Tony Hamilton Quyn, joyfully informed me that modernisation of the bathrooms is about to happen. Large bedrooms there cost around Rs9,500 [£ 47.50; $ 76 ] double, half board a night. I was delighted to discover in the “Black Magic” bar, a barman who not only knows his drinks but also seems able to talk intelligently on any topic with bar-propping guests. Such barmen are rare in Sri Lanka; so cheers, Thivagar!

Ceybank Rest _Black Magic_ barman

Grand Supper
In 1991, I wrote the centenary history of the Grand Hotel and so was thrilled to collect the recent magnificent and extravagantly photographed and produced volume about the hotel (see Newsletter 139) written by Richard Boyle. It’s a trophy worth having.

Red bell pepper, cheese & mushroom sauce
We dined in the hotel’s Supper Club (all the other restaurants including the Indian one and new veranda café were full) in appropriate wood-panelled grandeur attended by stewards in glorious red tunics. This starter was an intriguing combination of bell pepper sauce and two slices of cheese with mushroom sauce, (Rs500 [£ 2.50; $ 4]).

Flambe veal at Grand Supper Club
I couldn’t resist showing off by requesting a performance of flambé hill country veal that nearly scorched the roof, but resulted in a dish of satisfying succulence thanks to the red wine and brandy gravy.
And so to bed.
And what a bed! The largest I have ever slept in, measuring at least 8ft x 8ft. This was in the master bedroom of Longdon Bungalow, set in lawns overlooking the lake just a few minutes walk from the town’s centre, but peaceful and with rambling ponies grazing on the lawn. The bungalow itself (which we rented through an advert in the Sunday Times of Sri Lanka for Rs17,500 [£ 87.50; $ 140] a night, rambled too with five enormous bedrooms and beds enough for 20 people, four of whom could have slept comfortably in my bed.

Longdon Bungalow largest bed

Read All About It
I have started research to update my Bradt Guide to Sri Lanka. Meanwhile the current edition is available from: http://www.bradtguides.com/Book/552/Sri-Lanka.html

Tips wanted for the next Bradt Guide

Happy travels
Royston Ellis

LG Premasiri :wink::wink:

open.php

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 149

Sunday 24 February 2013.

Welcome from Sri Lanka to this Sunday’s newsletter on tropical topics.

Sights of the South
A big surprise when driving along the south coast road from Galle is, at Koggala, to be confronted with a gleaming blue-painted Sri Lankan Air Force plane, number SCM 3101. It is parked by the sea, at the end of the runway that forms the Koggala airport, run by the SLAF.

Grounded at Koggala
It is in the grounds of an open-sided restaurant called Catalina, the type of flying boat that Air Commodore Birchall was piloting when he took of from Koggala and spotted planes from Japan heading for Ceylon. The alarm he gave spoilt the surprise attack and was, according to Sir Winston Churchill, “one of the most important single contributions to victory” during World War II.

Fish drying down south
Another sight of the south, as well as fishing boats bobbing at anchor in tiny coves, is fish drying in the sun. A man sat patiently in the shade beside this rack of sliced fish watching and waiting while the sun shone… and tourists stopped to take photos.

The Kingsbury Cometh
The loss of the Colombo’s first chain hotel, the Ceylon Intercontinental (which later became the Ceylon Continental) has been mitigated by the recent part-opening of The Kingsbury. This has been created from the shell of the old Interconti and, when all its floors are open and it’s functioning fully, I plan to stay there to see how it competes with its neighbouring five-star properties.
In the meantime, the ground floor bar and two restaurants have already opened. It’s all very glitzy and glamorous, adding excitement to the hotel lobby experience. (There’s even a vertical fish tank wrapped around a central column, that’s fascinating to ogle at night.)

The Kingsbury salad buffet counter
I popped into the Harbour Court restaurant for a buffet lunch (at Rs2,200 nett [£ 11; US$ 17.60] and was thrilled by the layout. A long counter bristling with salads, and a separate counter with traditional lunch dishes as well as meat and fish cooked on demand. The aptly named “DO” (Director of Operations), Dayal Fernando, and the Head of Leisure of Hayleys, the owning company, Johann Wijesinghe, showed me the facilities of the Seafood restaurant, also open for lunch and dinner, where a huge variety of fish and seafood is displayed for action-station cooking in whatever manner a guest choses.

Dayal Fernando explains, watched by Johanan Wijesinghe

March in Sri Lanka
Next month sees Sri Lanka in Festival Mood with festivals in Galle (including tuktuk polo) and Colombo. The Festival in Colombo is called Colombo Scope and is curated by Ashok Ferrey, the tireless promoter of Sri Lankan literature, including his own jolly good books. There are over a dozen ticketed events at Park Street Mews at Rs500 [£ 2.50; US$ 4] entrance fee per person, as well as free events, exhibitions and a street party.
These events on 23 & 24 March sound exceptionally interesting and perhaps controversial. Details onwww.facebook.com/ashokferrey.
My Life in Robes
Two men and a woman in robes – a Christian priest, a Buddhist monk and a Muslim lady – talk about what those robes mean to them: how they serve to define their identity and how they change the way others perceive them. Moderator Jill Macdonald.
Flying on the other Wing
Minoli Ratnayake talks to Carolin Emcke, Rosanna Flamer-Caldera, Koluu and Brandon Ingram about sexual identity, and living the alternative lifestyle in modern-day Sri Lanka; and to film-maker Asoka Handagama about the portrayal of it on film.
Who Counted the Bodies?
The Commander of the Sri Lankan Army and Rajiv Wijesinghe, in conversation with war reporters Carolin Emcke and Julian West, about the problems of war reportage: Who exactly assigns the numbers in an environment where facts and figures can be massaged equally vigorously by both sides? Moderated by Savithri Rodrigo.
By Gum!
Circumstances saw me at the dawn of Valentine’s Day having breakfast at “the world’s most romantic resort” (according to the World Travel Awards as voted by travel trade professionals), Baros Maldives. It was a breakfast to stimulate passion: a full buffet with the extras of salmon caviar, oysters, and champagne.
For me, though, the highlight was the best gluten-free bread I have ever eaten. Bread made with gluten-free flour is so often tasteless and dry. The Executive Chef of Baros Maldives, Gabriël le Roux(South African in spite of his apparent French chef’s name), told me the secret. That’s to bake the bread in a covered bread pan with the addition of Xanthan gum that helps the bread retain moisture.
Gabriëlvery kindly explained details of this magic ingredient. Xanthan gum is a medium to fine, off white powder. It is usually made from corn or soy. Xanthan does not dissolve in oil. He has introduced it to several preparations with stunning results:gluten-free bread (to retain moisture, the lower the viscosity of a liquid the slower it will evaporate);ice creams and sorbets (it prevents the forming of ice crystals and gives ice cream and sorbet that smooth velvet feel in the mouth);salad dressings (it helps to prevent oil separation by stabilising the emulsion.
Baros Maldives Lime restaurant
Even the menu at the resort’s Lime Restaurant features Gluten-Free Olive Ciabatta stuffed with Tomato, Carrots, Cucumber and Celery Mayonnaise” and gluten-free croutons. So Baros Maldives isn’t only for a peaceful, romantic holiday in the tropics; it’s the island to stay on for innovative gourmet cuisine as well.
Back to the Beat
The Big Beat Scene is back
The zany life we rock ‘n’ roll veterans lived at the dawn of the swinging sixties is covered in the reprint of my seminal book The Big Beat Scene, available from: http://musicmentor0.tripod.com/book_big_beat_scene.html.
Beat regards
Royston Ellis

LG Premasiri :wink:

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Royston Ellis ist ein englischer Schriftsteller der seit 1980 in Induruwa lebt. www.roystonellis.com

habe Ihn durch unsere Reisen nach Sri Lanka kennen und schätzen gelernt.

erhalte zwei bis vier mal im Monat einen Newsletter von ihm über sein Leben in Sri Lanka und seine Arbeit. Im Einverständnis von Hänschen und Claudia darf ich die Newsletter hier einstellen.

hallo premasiri geht der link nur bei mir nicht oder hat sich die seite geändert?

danke schön, leider nur in englisch, aber was ich so verstehe , hört sich interresant an
und beatles fans habe ich nur als sympatische leute kennengelernt.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Royston’s Report 150
March 3rd, 2013

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 150

TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 3 March 2013.

Welcome to readers around the world with more tropical topics from Sri Lanka.
Made in Sri Lanka
I have written a few times about Kithul Jaggery and now I have found it packed in a new way. Instead of ball-shaped like cheese or in nuggets, it is sold as a 350g slab wrapped in foil (Rs265 [£1.35; US$2.12]).

A slab of Kithul Jogger

The slab contains the highly concentrated sweet sap of Kithul palm botanically known as Caryota urens. According to the label, it is indigenous to the Indo-Malayan region and a versatile product containing natural sugars that can be used as a sweetener for a variety of desserts or instead of sugar in tea.

ExpoAir
Last week I flew to Jaffna with ExpoAir’s daily service from Colombo by a nifty (single engine) Cessna Grand Caravan 208B aircraft (www.expoavi.com).

ExpoAir Cessna Grand Caravan

It was the first time I have visited Ratmalana (Colombo) airport, although it has been in operation since the days when it was a transit point on flights between Britain and Australia. The traditional art-deco appearance of the terminal building had me remembering photos of the old Northolt Aerodrome.

Colombo airport terminal building

The boarding process was smooth and I was lucky enough to get seat 3A, a single window seat with plenty of leg room, where the seating is x xx in three rows. The fourth row, a banquette at the back, has even more leg space. There was no divider between passengers and the two pilots, which made the flight even more exciting, especially when a recorded voice squawked “Traffic!” and we all craned our heads anxiously to spot nearby flying aircraft.

Inside the Cessna

The flight, at around 8,000 feet, took only 75 minutes and was worth every cent of Rs29,000 [£148; $232] round trip, for its smooth and enjoyable operation. A bus was on hand to take me to the Expo Pavilion Margosa, between the Palaly Airport and Jaffna.

Worth the visit

Expo Pavilion Margosa

To my delight, the Margosa property (see newsletters 82 & 84) has matured into a bungalow worth the visit in itself, not just because it’s in the Jaffna Peninsula. The six bedrooms have trendy boutique accoutrements (brushed cement floors and cement block beds) some with open-roofed bathrooms, but none of the pretension of “arts & crafts” boutique bungalows of the south. (http://www.jaffna.travel/expo-pavilion—margosa.html)

Margosa interior

The service is charming if a little erratic, the food an experience of delicious Sri Lankan delicacies, and the atmosphere entirely relaxed.

Margosa Pavilion breakfast

It made a perfect base for exploring Jaffna town and many historical sites, including the Keerimalai Tank of fresh water for bathing – but no soap or shampoo allowed – by the sea.

Jaffna tank

Staying In Prison
I have discovered Sri Lanka’s most unusual hotel, a 330-year old, octagonal Dutch Fort isolated in the middle of a lagoon, only reached by boat. It’s called Fort Hammenhiel, apparently because the Dutch saw the tiny island’s resemblance to the heel of the ham that was how the Dutch viewed Sri Lanka (when tipped on its side as it was often mapped).

Fort Hammenhiel

Run by the Navy, with guests required to register with an armed sentry at the gate to the Navy compound – where there is also a restaurant and bar, it is open to anyone prepared to pay Rs12,000 [£61.53; $96] double B & B. Accommodation is in four luxury suites complete with boutique hotel extras plus satellite tv, mini bar, and 24-hour room service by Navy personnel.

Fort Hemmenhiel Cell for 6 guests

If guests so desire they can stay in a cell for six (at Rs6,000 [£30.76; $48], B & B per person with outside, but modern, shower/toilet, barely converted from the days when the Fort was a prison for revolutionaries and Naval miscreants. Prison uniforms and caps are available on the pallets for cell guests.

Fort Hammenhiel original cell

Actually, Fort Hammenhiel is a beautifully-done conversion for an Architecturally Protected Property into a luxury hotel with, as one guest has said approvingly, “honest hospitality.” It has a courtyard garden, good for BBQs, sunrise and sunset decks, and assorted activities like snorkelling, diving, wind surfing and jet ski and boat trips to neighbouring islands.
Fort Hemmenhiel, the only entrance

It lies 21km by road and causeway (and Navy motorboat) from Jaffna. (www.forthammenhiel.navy.lk)

Wine Tasting
Rockland Distilleries is one of Sri Lanka’s best known private distilleries, producing a good local dry gin as well as the traditional Sri Lankan tipple of Arrack, having been in business since 1924.
The company has branched out into wine importing and to promote their products hold occasional wine tastings for especially invited guests. There was one last week at Pier 88, the riverside garden restaurant behind the Nebula supermarket in Alutgama.

Tasting wine with Manoj, Nishan (Nebula), Neel, Clifford and visitor Margot

While the Australian wines we sampled were jolly good (I ordered a case of White Shiraz at Rs1,348 [£6.91; $10.78] a bottle, the company was equally stimulating. I met a retired couple from Britain spending three months here (in a rented self-catering apartment at Nebula) who reckoned that for them, although prices are rising in Sri Lanka, it is still cheaper to spend three winter months here than back home in England.
Sunny regards
Royston Ellis

auch aus der Schweiz sonnige Grüsse

Premasiri :wink:

Hallo Premasiri,

vielen Dank für den immer interessanten Newsletter!!! :danke:

In einer Zelle zu übernachten ist wohl eher bedrückend - denke ich mal.
Die Mauern können zwar nicht sprechen, aber wer weiss, was sich dahinter
am Laufe der Zeit abgespielt hat? :confused:

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 151
TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 10 March 2013.
Greetings from Sri Lanka’s old hill country capital of Kandy, where I am staying for a few days.

Made in Sri Lanka
Regular readers know how keen I am on products made in Sri Lanka. I find the comestibles generally delicious (even if the taste needs to be acquired to appreciate the preparation properly) and good for the system. Locally made handicrafts are sometimes ponderous and not made to withstand an air-conditioned or cold climate.

So I was delighted to find on my recent visit to Jaffna this practical and colourful shopping basket that can be used anywhere. From the Palmyrah Development Board shop in Jaffna, it cost Rs325 [£ 1.66; US$ 2.60). It is made from dried palmyrah leaves. The palmyrah is one of the varieties of palm tree from which the sap is tapped as “toddy” and sold in thickets by the wayside to thirsty addicts.

Freshly toddy being poured under the tree from which it was tapped.

Tuk Tuk Polo
Geoffrey Dobbs has introduced many things (such as old houses transformed into boutique hotels, and the Galle Literary Festival) to Sri Lanka. Many thought his wackiest idea was to arrange polo matches with elephants instead of horses. Last weekend, he went one better: tuk tuk polo.
A tuk tuk is the name borrowed from Thailand for the three-wheeler auto rickshaws made in India that are ubiquitous in Sri Lanka. Geoffrey put six tuk tuks with agile drivers into two teams of three each and got a player to ride in the back of each contraption, instead of on the back of a horse, or an elephant.
Two tuk tuk polo players at Weligama
Each player had a mallet and set off at the whistle to score a goal or to prevent one being scored. The rules of the Ceylon Polo Club clearly state, “Gentlemen may only play with their right hand, ladies may use both hands. In the event of a dispute about a player’s sex, the umpire’s decision will be final.”
This was rule thoughtfully added: “At halftime and final whistle, tuk tuks can fuel up, drivers can have water and players an arrack sour, but not vice versa.”
Among the list of what constitutes a foul, it states: “Intentional hitting of opponents or the umpire (hitting a team member is encouraged).”
Tuk tuk polo in front of Taprobane Island
The practice match on a field of grass in front of Galle Fort proved to be fun with some fine drives. On the beach in front of Taprobane Island, one of Geoffrey’s boutique hotels, however, the sand and the surf cut down the speed of the game, although there was some nifty aggressive driving from the tuk tuk handlers.
Another event in Geoffrey’s determination to liven up Galle in March is a pop up restaurant to be operated by the Ministry of Crab at the Galle Test Cricket Ground on Wednesday 13 March. The dinner will be hosted by Sri Lanka’s eloquent cricketer, Kumar Sangakkara, with cooking supervised by Dharshan Munidasa, Sri Lanka’s culinary maestro (and part owner with Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardena of The Ministry of Crab restaurant in Colombo).

Slightly Chilled
After being told arrogantly by a European female staff trainer in a five-star hotel in Colombo (when I commented on having to wait nine minutes for a Margarita) that,“Nine minutes isn’t long to wait for a cocktail,” I almost swore off Margaritas.
I’m glad I didn’t because I have at last found the perfect - no frills or silly umbrellas – properly proportioned and mixed Margarita, at a bar enchantingly called Slightly Chilled. It’s in Kandy where the locals still refer to it by its previous name of The Bamboo Garden. (http://www.slightly-chilled.com)

Slightly Chilled bar counter
It’s on the first floor above a cheapie guesthouse with views of the Mahaweli River and the sprawl of Kandy town. It is different from most bars in Sri Lanka as it is owned and operated by a Brit, Michael, who is very hands on – and not ashamed to hand out leaflets in Kandy’s main street to attract customers, or to serve them himself if his plentiful staff are too busy.
Slightly Chilled kitchen
The attraction of Slightly Chilled is not just the view and the Margaritas (at Rs770 each), but also the food with a genuine Chinese touch (Michael’s wife is Chinese and suggests intriguing recipes to the local chefs), prepared in an open kitchen where diners can see how clean it is. It’s also a lot of fun as Michael performs the role of “Mine Host” in assured and hospitable form.

More on Jaffna
My report on Fort Hammenhiel in Jaffna in last week’s newsletter was echoed by an article in The Sunday Times http://www.sundaytimes.lk/130303/plus/staying-in-prison-35095.html
with more details of staying in prison. Another astonishing sight in Jaffna was this newly erected jolly green giant. I’d be grateful if someone who knows could tell me what’s it all about.

Jolly green giant

For automobile enthusiasts, Jaffna provides some rare, even ironic, sights. Here, side by side in the taxi rank of Jaffna town, is a new Nano taxi imported from India and a British vehicle (Austin Cambridge?) of uncertain vintage.

Jaffna taxis

Typo Time
I noticed a couple of typos crept in photo captions in last week’s newsletter, for which I blame the invisible spellchecker in my laptop that seems determined to outwit me. Thus Kithul Jaggery became Kithul Jogger and Margit who shared wine-tasting with me was re-named Margot. In addition, the link for Fort Hammenhiel declined to function, so try: forthammenhiel.navy.lk

Beat this!
I have just signed a contract with a New York publisher for a collection of my “beat generation” poems (1959-1967) to appear later this year. In the meantime, please visit www.amazon.co.uk or
http://musicmentor0.tripod.com/book_big_beat_scene.html for an account of The Big Beat Scene at the dawn of the Swinging Sixties.

Beat regards
Royston Ellis

Hallo all,

so etwas verrücktes wie tuk tuk polo habe ich auch noch nie gehört. Wäre aber sicher intressant gewesen zum zuschauen.

ROYSTON’S REPORT, 152
TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 17 March 2013.

Made in Sri Lanka
Instant Noodles with various flavours are popular in Sri Lanka (as well as in the rest of Asia) for a quick and convenient meal – just add boiling water. Personally I don’t like the ersatz flavours and, anyway, the noodles are made with wheat flour and off my diet as they are not gluten-free.
Instant red rice noodles

So I was happy to discover while exploring the shelves of my local supermarket, Nikado Red Rice Noodles. The box states the noodles are manufactured from red rice and salt in Sri Lanka (www.webasia.com/nikado). Instructions are explicit: Add red rice noodles to a bowl of boiling water and keep for about five minutes until cooked. Drain and rinse under cold water. You may temper or stir fry the rice noodles with fish, meat, egg or vegetables as per your desired taste.

At least using these noodles one can have authentic flavours without too much trouble. The box of 400gm (that’s 10 portions) costs Rs110 [£ 0.56; US$ 0.88].

Kandy Caper
Utilising a special offer by SriLankan Airlines Smiles frequent flyer mileage points I flew by sea plane Twin Otter from Bentota to Kandy and back for a couple of days last week. I checked in for the flight at the Marine Hotel at the Bentota River at 06.30am where a SriLankan Airlines security officer helped by the hotel’s dive master dutifully scrutinised paperwork and luggage.

Bentota passenger check in

The flight was indeed heavenly, and I was amazed at how lushly green and mountainous Sri Lanka is from the air.

Sri Lanka from the air

The flight took 40 minutes and we landed on Kandy’s Polgolla Reservoir. A tuk-tuk took us to town for a day’s exploration, first to the Temple of the Tooth and then to gaze at this magnificent fountain with cast iron cherubs, some alas now headless, and floundering fish, a tribute to the Victorian foundry men’s craft. The fountain commemorates the visit of the Prince of Wales to Kandy in 1875.

Kandy Prince of Wales fountain

A reminder of those days is The Royal Bar & Hotel, a licensed tavern since 1860 and now beautifully converted into a mansion with five stylish bedrooms (from Rs12,000 B &B [£ 61.50; $ 96] a double) and no hint of boutique snobbery. (www.royalbarandhotel.com)

Royal Hotel bedroom

It has a public bar with a black & white tiled floor and a teak and mirror display cabinet, a cobbled courtyard café, and a first floor restaurant with a 1930s ambience where we enjoyed pork fillet (Rs1,500 [£7.69; $ 12]) and malt whisky (Rs650 [£ 3.33; $ 5.20]).

Kandy Royal Hotel restaurant

The charm of the place is its mix of clientele; Kandyans popping in for a quick snifter and chat with friends, expat residents gossiping and tourists gaping at the memorabilia and welcome friendliness of the ambience.

Royal Hotel courtyard

I liked it so much, the next day we popped in for a lunch of spicy prawns (Rs600 [£ 3.07; $ 4.80]) to give us energy for shopping.

Royal Bar spicy prawns

Thus I discovered another fountain, under the open-air roundabout in the underground shopping complex that’s the crossing from one side of the main street, Dalada Veediya, to the other.

I was delighted too, down a side alley, to find a knife sharpener with this traditional contraption utilising a bicycle wheel and foot pedal for power to turn the grinding stone.

Kandy knife sharpener

Unusual lunch
From Brendan O’Donnell, host of the superb Reef Hotel at Wadduwa (see newsletters 33 & 117) comes this press cutting showing an unusual lunch offer at Cinnamon Bey hotel.
Burghers for lunch?
I wonder how saucy those burghers are?

Colombo Festival Weekend
http://issuu.com/britishcouncilsrilanka/docs/colomboscopeprog
Next weekend, Friday 22 to Sunday 24 March, the place to be in Colombo is Park Street Mews. That’s the location for “Colomboscope” a banquet of art, literature, music, food and stimulating discussion. There are lots of events planned, at either Rs500 [£ 2.56; $ 4] admission or free, as well as Sunday lunch (Rs4,250 [£ 21.80; $ 34]) with the multi-talented poet Sean Borodale . See: www.seanborodale.com.

Poet Sean Borodale
Comments
Thanks to the many readers who have enlightened me about the magnificent giant statue in Jaffna featured in last week’s newsletter. Samit from India writes: “The jolly green giant seems to be a statue of Hanuman, the very revered monkey god, and the god Ram’s right hand person. Legend has it when Ram’s wife Sita was abducted by Ravan to his home in Sri Lanka, Hanuman went over and set fire to Lanka with his tail and rescued Sita. Ravan is seen as a demon here, but worshipped in Sri Lanka.”

In Jaffna

From VK Vaseekaram, the manager of Expo Pavilion in Jaffna where I stayed, “ This statue is located at Maruthanar Madham; it was redone recently and is of Anjaneyar which is in front of the temple. We consider Anjaneyar as one of our Gods. This temple is similar to Ramboda Anjaneyar temple, located near Ramboda falls. Anjaneyar searched for Sita for Rama and later found her in Sri Lanka. It is said that Anjaneyar burnt a particular mountain in Sri Lanka using his tail and went back and informed Rama. Rama then started a war and captured Sri Lanka and rescued Sita.”

Another correspondent from India states, charmingly, “As you are aware, HINDUISM is a very Great Ocean and the deeper you go, the more you are confused.”

From Michael Richardson, the owner of Slightly Chilled which I reviewed last week, comes this comment: “Thank you so much for a wonderful review. However I think those Margaritas lost your sense of direction. The water you saw is the water of Kandy Lake and not Mahaweli River.”

Late News
My apologies to readers used to receiving this newsletter early on Sunday mornings as it now seems to be arriving late. That’s the cyber service, not me. If ever you want to read the latest issue of this newsletter at your leisure, just click on www.roystonellis.com/blog
Beat regards
Royston Ellis

So ein Flug von Bentota nach Kandy das würde ich auch gerne einmal machen

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
ROYSTON’S REPORT Number 153

Tropical Tropics, Sunday 24 March 2013.

Greetings to readers from around the world, as Sri Lanka opens a new gateway to the world: Mattala Rajapkasa International Airport.

Made in Sri Lanka
Scraped from the bark of the cinnamon tree, shaped and dried into quills, cinnamon was one of the spices that attracted the Portuguese to Sri Lanka. Although its export is no longer a prime income earner, cinnamon is still grown in Sri Lanka where it is a prime ingredient in Sri Lankan cuisine.

Cinnamon quills as table decoration
At home, though, we use it as a table decoration set here in a dried Kithul fronds basket (R440 [£ 2.31; US$ 3,52]) from Colombo’s Paradise Road emporium of cute things. This bunch of quills from a cinnamon peeler cost about Rs1,000 [£ 526; US$ 8] and its faint aroma creates a pleasant impression. I have noticed, though, that the quills are getting shorter, since Kumara has taken to breaking off and nibbling a piece occasionally.

New Airport
It is a historic occasion when a country opens a new international airport. This rare event happened in Sri Lanka last Monday (18 March) when President Rajapaksa opened the Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport at Mattala, near Hambantota, in the deep south of Sri Lanka. It’s historic as all new developments in the neglected south-eastern quarter of the country will be dated from that day.
I hope to use the new airport for my next trip to the Maldives as SriLankan have scheduled two flights a week to/from Male’ from Mattala, as well as flights to/from the Middle East and China (via Bangkok). More in a subsequent newsletter.

Bay Leaf
The Bay Leaf, the city’s foremost Italian restaurant in Colombo’s Gregory’s Road enclave of foreign embassies sent me a flyer about a Roast & Grills promotion now on until next Sunday. Since I’m not a fan of pasta and pizza I haven’t been there very much but the dishes sounded so tempting, I couldn’t resist popping in when I was in Colombo earlier this week.
Bay Leaf exterior
We sat under a ceiling fan on the balcony overlooking the garden. While we waited for our main courses, my guest and I shared a Tapa Platter of three coconut-shredded prawns, three breaded chicken wings, three stuffed mushrooms (fresh, not from a tin) and lots of potato wedges, surely a bargain at Rs750 (£ 3.94; $ 6).
Bay Leaf Mixed Grill
The main course of Grigliata Mista Carni was a plate of juicy grilled tender lamb cutlet, pork chop, beef steak and chicken breast served with grilled mashed potatoes and a pepper and red wine sauce. Not a pineapple or fried egg in sight. It tasted great and at Rs1,975 (£ 10.39; $ 15.80) was marvellous value even though the customary service charge and VAT added 22% to the bill.
I reckon we were lucky to try the promotion menu before it vanishes next Sunday, and we’ll certainly go back to Bay Leaf. I’d like another Pavlova too. (Rs525 [£ 2.76; $ 4.20]). (http://harposonline.com).
Bay Leaf Pavlova

Kandy retrospect
Kandy Buddha statue at sunrise
In going through the photographs of my recent visit to Kandy, I discovered that the photo Kumara took of the view of Kandy from where the Bahirawakanda Buddha Statue overlooks
the town, is actually an up to date version of the view in 1884, as seen from this print in my collection.

Kandy view, 1884

Kandy view of temple & lake from Buddha statue, 2013

Garden statuary
In the garden of my cottage on the west coast I have a few statues too. They weathered well with a nice aged patina bestowed by the sea breeze and the pollution from the trains that roar alongside the garden in the mornings and evenings.
But when I came back from Kandy I found my new (and very efficient) house boy had decided to paint them. Thus Pushpa, the maiden bathing, has been transformed into a white goddess.

Garden statuary
Even my bust wasn’t spared.

Painted bust

Jaffna Taxis

Morris Oxford in Jaffna
And about the taxis I photographed in Jaffna, a correspondent from Scotland writes: The taxi on the right is a Morris Oxford, the Austin Cambridge having a slightly different radiator grille/indicator arrangement. It's a Series V built from 1959 to 1961, and described in one of my books as ‘a rugged car which could put up with much abuse.’ The photo tends to prove that assertion, not bad: a 50+ year-old car in daily working use!”

Map Mystery
I’ve mentioned before (Number 125) the mystery of how some old maps (and even marketing people today) refer to Sri Lanka as having been called Taprobane. That name was actually applied to Sumatra, according to many old maps.
Hondius 1620 showing Ceylon
Now here’s another mystery. A delightful coloured map of India Orientalis by Hondius published in 1620 (when the littoral of Sri Lanka was occupied by the Portuguese) has just come up for auction in the USA. Bidding closes on Tuesday, so I don’t know if I will be successful in buying it. The map intrigues me because today’s Sri Lanka is clearly labelled on the map as Ceylon, which is supposed to have been the name bestowed by the British -- who didn’t occupy the island until 1796…?

Amazing
Thanks to the marvels of the internet I discover that the magazine, Amazing Sri Lanka, for which I am the Editorial Consultant, is available to read on-line. The magazine is published by the Tourist Board of the Western Province and contains several articles that might interest Sri Lanka fans. If the link works, it is available via:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B06M7_DhZRcqeUFCcUdZTHBsMmc/edit

Sunny regards
Royston

Wünsche allen eine schöne Karwoche, mit hoffentlich bald wärmerem Wetter

ROYSTON’S REPORT, Number 154

TROPICAL TOPICS, Sunday 31 March 2013.

Sunny greetings from Sri Lanka where it’s gloriously hot during the day and thundery at night.

Made in Sri Lanka

When I lived in Dominica in the 1960s I was fascinated to hear on the radio, after the news bulletin, a call for “Dwarf Cavendish” bananas to be delivered to the jetty at a certain time for shipment, by the Geest boat, to England. It seemed a lifeline to Britain (Dominica was then an “Associated State” of the UK, a kind of semi-colony). The Geest boats, as well as carrying bananas, took a few passengers too on the voyage to and from the UK.

Cavendish bananas from Sri Lanka
Those memories came rushing back when, on my supermarket expedition, I saw – and bought – Dole Cavendish Bananas “Made of Sunshine” – produce of Sri Lanka. The taste is delicious, sweet without the dryness of the many other varieties of banana grown here. This seems to be a new venture in Sri Lanka for Dole as the website www.madeofsunshine.com is still under construction.
Meanwhile I am enjoying my “Sixers Pack (as it’s called) of Cavendish bananas, which cost Rs136.50 [£ .71p; $ 1.09] a kilo.

Map Mystery Part 2
My mention of confusion in last week’s newsletter about whether Sri Lanka was ever known as Taprobane brought an immediate response from Richard Boyle whose erudite articles and books on Sri Lankan history and customs are packed with information.
He sent me a clipping of an article discussing the matter (http://www.island.lk/2008/03/15/satmag1.htm), from which he concludes that Sri Lanka was, indeed, named Taprobane. Well, perhaps it was for a time, but from what the article says, that was because two different original sources identified two separate islands (Sumatra and Sri Lanka) as Taprobane.
“Explaining the confusion in application of the name Taprobane to two places, Damian Cole [Assistant Curator of the Australian National Library Map Gallery] explained … ‘As the Europeans started to explore… they came across Sri Lanka, and thought well this must be Taprobane. But at the same time another route to the Indies was further south across the Indian Ocean and explorers came across Sumatra in Indonesia [and called that Taprobane]. So a debate began whether Taprobane was Sri Lanka or Sumatra, as both fitted the description of an exotic island with golden spices and elephants.’”
I like the idea that Sri Lanka was only mistakenly called Taprobane because that then indicates the enthusiastic arguments of the Taprobane supporters (quoted in the article) may be specious. Certainly by the16th century, mapmakers had decided Sri Lanka was called Zaylon (or a version of that word) and Taprobane was Sumatra.
This comes from the delightful 1519 Atlas Miller.

Detail of Atlas Miller, 1519

And this is a detail from a Munster map, dated 1550, showing both islands.
Detail of map dated 1550 by Munster
Fine dining?
In Colombo at lunchtime last week, I decided to try out one of the many restaurants opening up in the city as it gradually undergoes revitalisation. Mistake really; I ended up walking out of two of them and being told I must hurry to order in the third as the kitchen was closing.
The first one proclaims it is Russian. The ground floor was an empty and gloomy room with rather startled staff when we walked in at 1.30pm for lunch. The staff member who recovered the quickest suggested we go upstairs to eat. Décor there was sheer opulence; we could have walked into a tsarina’s karaoke boudoir with its huge screen and an ear-shattering belt of opera. We fled.
Our next attempt was at a well established Swiss restaurant that has added a Brasserie Lunch experience to its purvey of gourmet cuisine. Unfortunately, there appeared to be no staff on duty. Neel wandered into the depths of the bungalow shouting ‘ Anyone at home?’ but no one came. When he pushed open a glass door we were met by an icy blast from the air-conditioning and an equally icy stare from a steward serving two tables. We left.
Mixed amuse bouts

We managed to get to Spoons, the Colombo Hilton’s fine dining restaurant just before the kitchen closed at 2.30pm. We had the executive lunch with a platter of mixed amuse-bouches (including lobster mousse) as a starter followed by our choice of mains (fish, chicken or lamb). Double braised Australian lamb in confit cabbage sautéed spinach feta crumble pot jus (shown here) was rich in flavour and very satisfying. We concluded with a platter of mixed desserts.
Lamb confit in cabbage
This wonderful lunch cost Rs1,600 [£ 8.42; $ 12.80], plus plus. Unfortunately the high standard of the food was let down by lazy service. I’ve noticed that sometimes where places justly pride themselves on their food quality, the stewarding staff lack (or take no notice of) necessary professional training that matches the food standard.

Surgery
Last Saturday, I popped into the local doctor’s surgery to ask advice on how to deal with a swelling on my elbow that had been troubling me for a couple of weeks. He gave me a several pills which I took in the right order but which resulted, the next morning, in a much larger swelling.

As soon as he saw it, the good doctor decided to operate. I was laid down on a Rexine-covered wooden bed in the doctor’s surgery and rolled on my side to face the wall as the doctor operated. Kumara held my hand down, Neel and the nurse swotted flies and the doctor, aided by someone I took to be a tuk tuk driver but who seemed to know his job, cut and scraped and sewed me back together with 20 stitches.
Why there are typos

I loved the informality of it all with people crowding the surgery’s open doorway to watch. Made me feel like family! So if there are any typos this weak, you know why…

Sunny regards
Royston

wünsche allen frohe Ostern

Hallo Premasiri,

ich habe ebend gerade u.a. nochmal den NL vom 17.03. gelesen. Das Flüge von Bentota nach Kandy angeboten werden wusste ich garnicht. Ok, bin ja auch nicht gerade die Mutigste, was das Fliegen angeht. 8-) Aber 40 Minuten für die Entfernung ist schon unschlagbar und sicher interessant für viele hier. Schade, dass Royston keinen Preis dazu geschrieben hat.

Das Spoons im Hilton haben wir uns im vorletzten Urlaub mal "gegönnt". Nicht schlecht, aber auch gepfefferte Preise.

Liebe Grüsse und ein schönes Osterfest, Biggi

Hallo Biggi,

habe überall im Netz nach dem Preis für den Flug gesucht aber nichts gefunden.
Werde mal versuchen bei Royston den Preis zu erfahren.

LG Premasiri

Oben